After School Tutoring
The Bucknell Buddies program is an after school tutoring program that is offered through the Central Susquehanna Intermediate Unit (CSIU) at Milton School District. The program is a collaboration between the Education Department at Bucknell, the Office of Civic Engagement, and the Milton School District. The program is managed by the Director of Professional Education/Field Experience Coordinator in the Education Department.
Tutoring is offered in subjects as directed by the classroom teachers in the program. Volunteers may also participate in staff-directed recreational activities.
Bucknell students serve as tutors for the program. Tutors are paired with one or two school students and work with the same students throughout the semester in order to establish a sense of consistency and structure as well as build a trusting relationship between tutor and student.
Each tutor must attend a training session as well as obtain the Pennsylvania Department of Education clearances. Tutors then select one day a week that they will tutor and commit to that day for the duration of the semester. Transportation can be provided through the school district if students choose to participate.
Instructors for some courses may expect you to engage in experiential learning by interacting with local youth. This could involve providing classroom assistance, tutoring, observing, conducting workshops, implementing lesson plans, interviewing, etc. If you are registered for a class that requires service work with minors (under the age of 18), or you are a Community Service Federal Work Study Student you must obtain the following clearances BEFORE beginning your work:
- ACT 151 PA Child Abuse History Clearance Form
Required for all programs
- ACT 34 PA Criminal History Record Check
Required for all programs
- ACT 114 FBI Criminal History (fingerprinting required)
Required for any work within the local schools as well as ACT 151 and ACT 34
Obtaining these clearances provides proof that you have NO HISTORY of child abuse or criminal activity. If you have been charged with an offense, you will NOT have a clean record and will not be allowed to participate in activities that include minors.
The Office of Civic Engagement will only assign placements in our programs to students who have submitted proof of necessary clearances.
Clearances require payment by credit card (ACT 34, ACT 114) and/or money order (ACT 151).
ACT 151 PA Child Abuse History Clearance Form
- Go to https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS
- At the Child Welfare Portal, choose “CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT,” you will need an email address to create an account.
- Be sure to use your BUCKNELL mailing address, NOT your home address!
- You will need a debit or credit card for submission of the $8.00 fee if you are a Work Study Student. The fee is waived if you are a VOLUNTEER.
- Your results should be immediate. If they are not, look for email confirmation within 48 hours (check spam folder). If you do not receive an email confirmation, your clearance will be mailed to the mailing address you provided on the form.
- Print 2 copies of the results, one for you to keep with important personal documents and the second for the Office of Civic Engagement. If you do not receive immediate confirmation, please print the page that contains the confirmation number.
- Be sure to record any confirmation numbers to access the results at a later time
ACT 34 PA Criminal History Record Check
- Go to https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp and choose “submit a new record check.”
- Select “Education” for the reason
- Follow the prompts for payment which will require a credit card. (Cost is $8 if you are a Work Study Student; the fee is waived if you are a VOLUNTEER.)
- When the form is completed, click on “Control #” and then click on the blue “Certification Form” link. Print 2 copies of the results, one for you to keep with important personal documents and the second for the Office of Civic Engagement.
- If for some reason you need to print another copy of this clearance (within one year), you can access the system again using the control # found in bold print in the center of the document. If you do not have the completed clearance, or the control number, you can call the Helpdesk at 1-888-783-7972 for record access.
ACT 114 Criminal History Record Check
- Go to http://www.pa.cogentid.com and choose “Pennsylvania Department of Education” and then choose “Register Online.”
- Read the disclaimer and then continue.
- When asked for your address, please type in your Bucknell University campus mailbox address; the county is Union.
- When asked “Reason for Fingerprinting,” choose “School Districts” from the drop-down menu.
- If you do not have a credit card for payment, purchase a $28.75 money order/cashier’s check from any bank, Lewisburg Post Office, Bucknell campus Post Office in the Langone Center, CVS, or Wal-Mart. Complete the money order by making it payable to the “Cogent Systems.” Take the money order with you to the fingerprinting site (see bottom for site location). Personal checks or cash will not be accepted.
- When you have completed the registration process, you will get a “Registration ID.” Print 2 copies of this page. Take one copy and a picture ID to the fingerprinting site. Keep the other copy with your important personal records. It is recommended you wait 24-48 hours before visiting the fingerprinting site to allow your registration to appear in the system.
- Once the fingerprinting is completed, logon to the Cogent website again and choose “Proof of Transaction” under the Registration drop-down menu.
- Enter the information requested and print 2 copies of this page; the pages should have your name, registration ID number, the date, and the location of your fingerprinting. Take one copy to the Office of Civic Engagement and keep the second with your important personal records.
- The University will have access to the official record results electronically for one year. The unofficial copy you requested will arrive in the mail within a few weeks of submission. Once you receive the official document, please make a copy and take it to the Office of Civic Engagement. Keep the original with your important personal records.
Bucknell has its own fingerprinting scanning location courtesy of Public Safety, 580 Snake Rd., 570.577.3333. This service is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
*Once your clearances are completed you must bring them to The Office of Civic Engagement, 119 Bertrand Library, 570.577.3973. All clearances (Act 34, Act 14, and Act 151) will be scanned and sent to the Education Department database for future reference as needed.