This Backpacking BuckWild program will take place on the Black Forest Trail. The entire length of the trail is 42.1 miles. We will be doing around 35 miles of the trail. The Black Forest Trail is known for its beautiful vistas that make the entire trip well worth the effort. Beyond vistas there are many meandering creeks and other beautiful landscapes. The name, Black Forest Trail, comes from the dense, dark (Black) coniferous forest that is known throughout the region. The hike is located in Lycoming County near the small wooded village of Slate Run, PA.
The exertion level is moderate to strenuous. The Black Forest Trail is a trail that incorporates distance and diverse terrain. Participants should be prepared for carrying all their supplies.
The experience below is only an example, trips are subject to change based on weather, local conditions, other circumstances, etc.
- 7 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.: Move in to the Residence Halls, breakfast and lunch on your own
- 12:15 p.m.: In a duffel bag, bring your packed equipment from the packing list for your specific trip to an area for storage (TBD) prior to the Weis Center meeting
- 12:30 p.m.: Meeting with the Associate Dean, Director of Outdoor Education & Leadership, and BuckWild student trip leaders in the Weis Center for the Performing Arts
- 1:30 p.m.: Say goodbye to your families
- 1:45 p.m.: Report to the Academic Quad to meet with your BuckWild Trip Leaders
- 2:00 p.m.: Parents/Guardians/Family Members will meet with the President, Provost, and Dean of Students in the Weis Center for the Performing Arts
- 2:30 p.m.: Parents/Guardians/Family Members are free to depart campus or attend the social hour in the Weis Center Lobby until 3:30 p.m.
Wake up, pack up equipment, and depart campus! Hit the trail "running" - Goal: Hike between 7 - 10 miles. Set up camp. Enjoy fun, daily activities prepared by the Trip Leaders.
Wake up, break down camp, and depart camp. Goal: Hike approximately 8 - 11 miles. Set up camp. Enjoy fun, daily activities prepared by the Trip Leaders.
Wake up, break down camp, and depart camp. Goal: Hike between 8 - 11 miles depending on night before. Set up camp. Enjoy fun, daily activities prepared by the Trip Leaders.
Wake up, break down camp, and depart camp. Finish hiking to vehicles. Meet and engage with Bucknell Professors in the afternoon at the Cowan Forest D. Brown Retreat Center. There we will enjoy food and festivities mid evening. Go back to shower and then meet up for the Arts First Pre-Orientation Program Performance. Sleep in your rooms.
Breakfast 8:15 a.m. in Larrison Dining Hall. Your trip leaders will discuss the Orientation Schedule. There will be a slideshow displaying each of the trip experiences. Orientation begins a little before lunch.