The Backpacking BuckWild experience will take place on the Old Logger's Trail. The trail is a historical look into Pennsylvania's railroad logging systems. The trail follows old railroad grade that was developed to harvest trees from the forest. The trail is a loop trail that is 27.1 - miles in length. There are many beautiful streams, some great vistas, and fantastic wildlife. The town of Masten where the trail begins is a vacated town that was hustling and bustling during the logging days!
This is an Intermediate experience. No true prior backpacking experience is needed. Participants should be prepared for carrying all their supplies; backpacking is generally more physically strenuous than some other BuckWild experiences. We have had many first-year students that have never gone backpacking join this experience without any issues. We will teach you everything you need to know about backpacking.
The experience below is only an example, trips are subject to change based on weather, local conditions, other circumstances, etc.
- 7 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.: Move in to the Residence Halls, breakfast and lunch on your own
- 12:15 p.m.: In a duffel bag, bring your packed equipment from the packing list for your specific trip to an area for storage (TBD) prior to the Weis Center meeting
- 12:30 p.m.: Meeting with the Associate Dean, Director of Outdoor Education & Leadership, and BuckWild student trip leaders in the Weis Center for the Performing Arts
- 1:30 p.m.: Say goodbye to your families
- 1:45 p.m.: Report to the Academic Quad to meet with your BuckWild Trip Leaders
- 2:00 p.m.: Parents/Guardians/Family Members will meet with the President, Provost, and Dean of Students in the Weis Center for the Performing Arts
- 2:30 p.m.: Parents/Guardians/Family Members are free to depart campus or attend the social hour in the Weis Center Lobby until 3:30 p.m.
Wake up, pack up equipment, and depart campus! Hit the trail "running" - Goal: Hike between 4.5 to 6.5 miles. Set up camp. Enjoy fun, daily activities prepared by the Trip Leaders.
Wake up, break down camp, and depart. Goal: Hike approximately 7 - 9.5 miles. Set up camp. Enjoy fun, daily activities prepared by the Trip Leaders.
Wake up, break down camp, and depart. Goal: Hike between 6.5 - 8.5 miles depending on night before. Set up camp. Enjoy fun, daily activities prepared by the Trip Leaders.
Wake up, break down camp, and depart camp. Finish hiking to vehicles. Meet and engage with Bucknell Professors in the afternoon at the Cowan Forest D. Brown Retreat Center. There we will enjoy food and festivities mid evening. Go back to shower and then meet up for the Arts First Pre-Orientation Program Performance. Sleep in your rooms.
Breakfast 8:15 a.m. in Larrison Dining Hall. Your trip leaders will discuss the Orientation Schedule. There will be a slideshow displaying each of the trip experiences. Orientation begins a little before lunch.