This Basecamp BuckWild program will take place in the Ohiopyle State Park. The park is located at the south end of the Laurel Ridges and along the Youghiogheny River Gorge and encompasses over 20,000 acres of natural landscape. The "Yough" provides some of the best whitewater boating on the east coast in addition to plentiful hiking, biking, climbing, and camping. Over 75 miles of trail allows a great showcase to the natural beauty of the park. It is considered the "Outdoor Mecca of Pennsylvania". All three basecamp teams will be in similar areas and each day and participate in a different outdoor activity mentioned above. Your group will also interact with other Ohiopyle Basecamp groups.
The exertion level is light. No prior climbing or white water experience is needed. The biking is flat on a rail to trail. You should have basic biking ability. We will teach you everything you need to know for all the outdoor pursuits. We are using a guide service for white water rafting.
The experience below is only an example, trips are subject to change based on weather, local conditions, other circumstances, etc.
- 7 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.: Move in to the Residence Halls, breakfast and lunch on your own
- 12:15 p.m.: In a duffel bag, bring your packed equipment from the packing list for your specific trip to an area for storage (TBD) prior to the Weis Center meeting
- 12:30 p.m.: Meeting with the Associate Dean, Director of Outdoor Education & Leadership, and BuckWild student trip leaders in the Weis Center for the Performing Arts
- 1:30 p.m.: Say goodbye to your families
- 1:45 p.m.: Report to the Academic Quad to meet with your BuckWild Trip Leaders
- 2:00 p.m.: Parents/Guardians/Family Members will meet with the President, Provost, and Dean of Students in the Weis Center for the Performing Arts
- 2:30 p.m.: Parents/Guardians/Family Members are free to depart campus or attend the social hour in the Weis Center Lobby until 3:30 p.m.
Wake up, pack up equipment, and depart campus! Hit the trail "running" - Goal: Hiking 5-8 miles. Set up camp at your basecamp. Enjoy fun, daily activities prepared by the Trip Leaders.
Wake up and enjoy breakfast. Goal: Climbing and biking. A casual flat bike ride to the climbing area. Enjoy fun daily activities prepared by the Trip Leaders.
Wake up and enjoy breakfast. Goal: Whitewater rafting in the Youghiogheny River. Enjoy fun, daily activities prepared by the Trip Leaders.
Wake up, break down camp, and depart camp. Meet and engage with Bucknell Professors in the afternoon at the Cowan Forest D. Brown Retreat Center. There we will enjoy food and festivities mid evening. Go back to shower and then meet up for the Arts First Pre-Orientation Program Performance. Sleep in your rooms.
Breakfast 8:15 a.m. in Larrison Dining Hall. Your trip leaders will discuss the Orientation Schedule. There will be a slideshow displaying each of the trip experiences. Orientation begins a little before lunch.