Bucknell University is located on the bank of the Susquehanna River. You will be canoeing on the 16th largest River in the U.S. It flows 444 miles from New York to the Chesapeake Bay. The river spans 27,500 square miles, which is the size of South Carolina. The Susquehanna provides 50% of the freshwater into the Chesapeake estuary system. Your team will be canoeing a 52-mile middle stretch from Selinsgrove, PA to Harrisburg, PA. This is one of the best ways to explore this beautiful river that is a great asset to the Bucknell campus and Lewisburg community.
The exertion level is light. No prior canoeing experience is needed. We will teach you everything you need to know. The middle stretch of the Susquehanna river is predominantly flat water with a depth of 3 to 7 ft and a few small, Class 1 rapids along the way. It is a great first canoeing experience!
**The experience below is only an example, trips are subject to change based on weather, river conditions, etc.
- 7 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.: Move in to the Residence Halls, breakfast and lunch on your own
- 12:15 p.m.: In a duffel bag, bring your packed equipment from the packing list for your specific trip to an area for storage (TBD) prior to the Weis Center meeting
- 12:30 p.m.: Meeting with the Associate Dean, Director of Outdoor Education & Leadership, and BuckWild student trip leaders in the Weis Center for the Performing Arts
- 1:30 p.m.: Say goodbye to your families
- 1:45 p.m.: Report to the Academic Quad to meet with your BuckWild Trip Leaders
- 2:00 p.m.: Parents/Guardians/Family Members will meet with the President, Provost, and Dean of Students in the Weis Center for the Performing Arts
- 2:30 p.m.: Parents/Guardians/Family Members are free to depart campus or attend the social hour in the Weis Center Lobby until 3:30 p.m.
Wake up, pack up equipment, and depart campus! Hit the trail "paddling" - Goal: paddle between 8-12 miles. Set up camp. Enjoy fun, daily activities prepared by the Trip Leaders.
Wake up and pack up equipment! Hit the trail "paddling" - Goal: paddle between 12-14 miles. Set up camp. Enjoy fun, daily activities prepared by the Trip Leaders.
Wake up and pack up equipment! Hit the trail "paddling" - Goal: paddle between 12-16 miles. Set up camp. Enjoy fun, daily activities prepared by the Trip Leaders.
Wake up and pack up equipment! Finish paddling to meet the vehicles (8-10 miles). Meet and engage with Bucknell Professors in the afternoon at the Cowan Forest D. Brown Retreat Center. There we will enjoy food and festivities mid evening. Go back to shower and then meet up for the Arts First Pre-Orientation Program Performance. Sleep in your rooms.
Breakfast 8:15 a.m. in Larrison Dining Hall. Your trip leaders will discuss the Orientation Schedule. There will be a slideshow displaying each of the trip experiences. Orientation begins a little before lunch.