This Basecamp BuckWild program will take place in the Ricketts Glen State Park. Located an hour northeast of Bucknell, this park is over 13,000 acres and is one of the best state parks in Pennsylvania. One of the hikes in the park is one of the top 10 Bucknell bucket list things to accomplish before you graduate! The hike is a loop trail comprised of 22 waterfall within 3.2 miles. The highest waterfall is 94 feet. Your team will have the opportunity to explore this trail and a few others, enjoy canoeing on the 245 acre Lake Jean, and have the opportunity to work with your team at the CLIMBucknell Challenge Course. All of the three basecamp teams will be in similar areas and each day they will participate in a different outdoor activities mentioned above. Your group will also interact with other Ricketts Glen basecamp groups.
The exertion level is light. No prior paddle boarding, hiking, or challenge course experience is needed. We will teach you everything you need to know for all the outdoor pursuits.
The experience below is only an example, trips are subject to change based on weather, local conditions, other circumstances, etc.
- 7 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.: Move in to the Residence Halls, breakfast and lunch on your own
- 12:15 p.m.: In a duffel bag, bring your packed equipment from the packing list for your specific trip to an area for storage (TBD) prior to the Weis Center meeting
- 12:30 p.m.: Meeting with the Associate Dean, Director of Outdoor Education & Leadership, and BuckWild student trip leaders in the Weis Center for the Performing Arts
- 1:30 p.m.: Say goodbye to your families
- 1:45 p.m.: Report to the Academic Quad to meet with your BuckWild Trip Leaders
- 2:00 p.m.: Parents/Guardians/Family Members will meet with the President, Provost, and Dean of Students in the Weis Center for the Performing Arts
- 2:30 p.m.: Parents/Guardians/Family Members are free to depart campus or attend the social hour in the Weis Center Lobby until 3:30 p.m.
Wake up, pack up equipment, and depart campus! Hit the trail "running" - Goal: Hiking the waterfall loop 5 - 8 miles. Set up camp at your basecamp. Enjoy fun, daily activities prepared by the Trip Leaders.
Wake up and enjoy breakfast. Goal: Paddling. A casual Paddle Boarding experience on Lake Jean. If you are lucky you will get to see some awesome wildlife! Enjoy fun daily activities prepared by the Trip Leaders.
Wake up and enjoy breakfast. Goal: CLIMBucknell Challenge Course at Bucknell Universities Cowan Retreat Space. You will have the opportunity to build your team into a cohesive unit through low ropes problem solving activities, climbing our tower, zip lining, and other high ropes elements. Enjoy fun, daily activities prepared by the Trip Leaders.
Wake up, break down camp, and depart camp. Meet and engage with Bucknell Professors in the afternoon at the Cowan Forest D. Brown Retreat Center. There we will enjoy food and festivities mid evening. Go back to shower and then meet up for the Arts First Pre-Orientation Program Performance. Sleep in your rooms.
Breakfast 8:15 a.m. in Larrison Dining Hall. Your trip leaders will discuss the Orientation Schedule. There will be a slideshow displaying each of the trip experiences. Orientation begins a little before lunch.