After School Tutoring
The Bucknell Buddies program is an after school tutoring program that is offered through the Central Susquehanna Intermediate Unit (CSIU) at Milton School District. The program is a collaboration between the Education Department at Bucknell, the Office of Civic Engagement, and the Milton School District. The program is managed by the Director of Professional Education/Field Experience Coordinator in the Education Department.
Tutoring is offered in subjects as directed by the classroom teachers in the program. Volunteers may also participate in staff-directed recreational activities.
Bucknell students serve as tutors for the program. Tutors are paired with one or two school students and work with the same students throughout the semester in order to establish a sense of consistency and structure as well as build a trusting relationship between tutor and student.
Each tutor must attend a training session as well as obtain the Pennsylvania Department of Education clearances. Tutors then select one day a week that they will tutor and commit to that day for the duration of the semester. Transportation can be provided through the school district if students choose to participate.
If you are a volunteer in a COMMUNITY PROGRAM that requires clearances or if you are registered for a class that has a FIELD PLACEMENT component in which you work in a local school as a tutor, observer, or student teacher, you need to obtain the following three clearances BEFORE you start your work with children:
- ACT 151 PA Child Abuse History Clearance Form
- ACT 34 PA Criminal History Record Check
- ACT 114 FBI Criminal History (Fingerprint)
- Getting the clearances proves that you have NO HISTORY of child abuse or criminal activity. If you have been charged with an offense, you will not have a clean record; therefore, you will not be allowed to have a field placement in any school.
- Completed clearances, once filed in the Education Dept Office, will be valid for three years. You will not be assigned a field placement until you have submitted proof of all 3 clearances to the Education Department office (Olin 457) or to the staff person coordinating your volunteer placement.
ACT 151: PA Child Abuse Clearance (online)
The Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance application can be submitted online. Once you enter the link below you will be directed to the Child Welfare Portal where you must create an account or log in if you already have an account. Note: you will need an email address to create an account. Child Abuse History Clearance Online: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS
Be sure to use your CAMPUS address, not your home address! Creating an account and submitting your clearance application online will give you immediate access to your results or the status of your results if your results cannot be processed immediately. You must include your social security number to have immediate access. For purpose of clearance, select "School employee" - not volunteer. You will receive an email when the results of your background check are available. SAVE that email! Go back to the site to retrieve your actual certificate, SAVE it electronically, and SEND a copy to the Education Department.
ACT 34: Pennsylvania Criminal History Record Check
- Go to https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp and click on "submit a new record check".
- Select "Education" for the reason.
- Have a credit card ready and follow the prompts on the online form. Costs $8.
- When you are ready to print, click on "Control #" and then click the blue "Certification Form" link. Print 2 copies of the results (one for you to keep and a second copy for the Educ Dept.)
- If you should lose this form, you can go back to the site with your information later (within a year) and reprint it. If you don't have the control number, you can call their Helpdesk 1.888.783.7972 for it.
ACT 114: FBI Criminal History (Fingerprint)
How to Pre-Register for Fingerprinting. There IS a fee for this service. Follow the instructions and you will eventually get to a page with information about to pay.
- Go to www.identogo.com.
- Enter your zip code into the box labeled Find the nearest IdentoGO Center.
- Select the location most convenient to you.
- Click Schedule an Appointment located in the blue box on the right-hand side of the page. An appointment is not required, but it is recommended.
- Click on Digital Fingerprinting on the lower left side of the page.
- The registration page (https://uenroll.identogo.com) that you use to register and PAY to have your fingerprinting done. The Service Code you would use is the Pennsylvania Department of Education VOLUNTEER code: 1KG6Y3
Once the fingerprinting is completed, you will receive in the mail (at the address you entered on the form) a document called "Civil Applicant Response." Please bring or send an electronic copy of this document to the Education dept.
The university will have access to the official record results electronically for one year. The unofficial copy (the "Civil Applicant Response") will arrive in the mail in a few weeks.
When you obtain the clearances, bring copies to the Education Department office and retain the originals! If you have questions, please call 570.577.1934 or 570.577.1324.