In 1994, Congress designated the Martin Luther King Jr. Federal Holiday as a national day of service.
Each year, the Corporation for National and Community Service honors Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s legacy by asking Americans to take action by helping their neighbors and communities on the King holiday.
Below are some of the service opportunities in recent years to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr's legacy of bringing about change through good works.
- Help clean up and recycle around 6th and 7th streets.
- Assist the Lewisburg Area Recreational Authority with trail clean up
- Cleaning assistance at the Sunbury YMCA
- Make Black History educational items for the Milton School District
- Assist in facilitating an educational workshop at Essex Place
- Assist in facilitating an educational workshop at Meadowview
- Make no-sew fleece blankets for the Red Cross
- Donate blood at local American Red Cross Blood Drives
- Play scrabble with members from the Area Agency on Aging