Remain calm.

  • This can be difficult in the face of a distressed student, but is an important way to deflate the intensity of the situation and keep it from escalating.
  • Use an even tone of voice (low and slow), remain seated, invite the student to sit.
  • Use techniques like deep breathing and mindfulness to help yourself remain calm

Validate the distress.

  • Avoid too many questions, but acknowledge that the student is distressed -"I understand that you're angry."
  • "I hear that you have concerns that you'd like addressed."
  • Avoid criticizing or sounding judgmental

Provide reassurance.

  • Let the student know that you're going to do what is within your limits in order to help address their concern.
  • "Let's work together to figure out a solution."
  • "If I can't come to a solution that works for both of us, I'll do my best to find someone who can help us out."

Use campus resources and consult:

Counseling & Student Development Center

How to Make a Referral to the Counseling & Student Development Center:

  1. Suggest that students call or come in to make an appointment. Give them the office phone number and location at that time. However, it is usually more effective to assist the student by calling for an appointment with the student present. When you reach the receptionist, identify yourself as a staff/faculty member and ask for an appointment for the student. The student's name and ID number are required for the appointment. Write down the appointment time, date, and counselor name for the student.
  2. If you feel the situation is an emergency or urgent enough to require immediate attention, after identifying yourself as staff, tell the receptionist that the student needs to speak with a counselor immediately. Give the receptionist the student's name.
  3. It may be necessary for you to walk the student to our office.
  4. If you are concerned about a student but unsure about the appropriateness of a referral, feel free to call for a consultation at 570.577.1604.

*Please note that due to confidentiality limitations, counselors cannot talk with you about the student, including whether or not the student follows through with counseling. When appropriate, counselors attempt to secure a client's permission to talk openly to other sources of support on campus (e.g. academic dean, Dean of Students).

Division of Student Affairs

  • Dean Amy Badal - 570.577.1601

College of Arts & Sciences

  • Associate Dean Rich Robbins (juniors and seniors) - 570.577.1301
  • Associate Dean Lynn Breyfogle (first-year students and sophomores) - 570.577.1301

College of Engineering

  • Associate Dean Karen Marosi - 570.577.3705

College of Management

  • Assistant Dean Ivy Kepner-Shaner - 570.577.2762

Department of Public Safety

  • Non-Emergency Number 570.577.3333
  • Emergency Number 911 or 570.577.1111

The Advocates (sexual misconduct):

  • Call 570.850.6115. Available 24 hours a day to listen and provide support, answer questions and share information, provide transportation and accompany to medical treatment, explain campus and local reporting and judicial options, assist with academic needs, provide referral to counseling and other sources of support.