COMPLETE and SUBMIT THE ITEMS BELOW BY MARCH 15, 2018 (postmarked date)
Complete a 2018-2019 Renewal Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov to complete your 2018-2019 FAFSA. Bucknell's FAFSA school code is 003238. You will need to login and create an account if you don't have one already.
- If you complete the FAFSA online correctly, the Department of Education will notify you via email. If you have not received the email within 72 hours, go back and resubmit the FAFSA. The Department of Education will contact you by email or letter if there are any problems with your FAFSA.
- If this is your first time applying for Bucknell need-based aid, the CSS PROFILE must also be completed. You can find it at student.collegeboard.org/profile.
- Late applicants whose files are not complete by May 1 will receive a reduction to Bucknell Need-Based Grant.
*** When you complete the FAFSA, we highly recommend that you utilize IRS Data Retrieval, which will populate certain FAFSA items with the numbers that you reported to the IRS on your 2016 federal tax return. This process pulls information directly from the IRS, so manual entry errors are eliminated.
- Due to security measures that the federal government has put in place to protect your confidential information from identity theft/fraud, when you utilize IRS Data Retrieval, the retrieved IRS data will be masked so you will not be able to see it. Instead, you will see, "Transferred from the IRS."
- If you choose not to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval option, then you will need to manually complete the FAFSA information yourself, using your 2016 tax return information. If you elect to do this, we highly recommend that you request a tax transcript for 2016 immediately so that you will have it in case we need it for verification purposes. (Please know that manually entering your FAFSA data may result in errors that need to be corrected, which could delay disbursement of aid in the fall. Ordering a tax transcript may also cause delays, as it can take up to 6-8 weeks for the IRS to send it to you.)
*** Even if you use the IRS Data Retrieval process, please be aware that the Office of Financial Aid still requires you to complete other documents which are listed under "Required Documents" in your myBucknell financial aid gadget. ***
Print, complete, sign and mail, fax or upload the Bucknell University Financial Aid Data Form to Bucknell's Office of Financial Aid.
- The student and at least one parent must sign the Bucknell University Financial Aid Data Form.
- If you are studying abroad during the spring 2018 semester, and you did not complete a Bucknell University Financial Aid Data Form prior to leaving, we recommend that your parents complete it and then mail, fax or email a scanned copy directly to you. You should then sign the form and mail, fax or email it directly to our office by the March 15 deadline. The form is not complete unless both the student and at least one parent have signed it.
If you have not done so already, submit to Bucknell's Office of Financial Aid copies of first 2 pages and schedules A, B, C, D and K (if filed) of parent 2016 Federal Tax Returns and W2s.
- Print clearly the student's name and Bucknell University ID number on all documents.
- Attach all 2016 W-2 and 1099 forms.
- Tax Extensions: The 2016 tax return should have been filed; however, if your parents still have a filing extension, return the Bucknell University Information Data Form on time with a copy of the extension form. You will still be required to submit the tax return to us after it is filed, as your financial aid will not be determined or processed until we receive a copy of the actual filed tax return.
- Non-filers of Federal 2016 Tax Returns: Parents who are not required to file a federal tax return should indicate their non-filing status by checking the appropriate box on the Bucknell University Financial Aid Data Form. Be sure to complete the untaxed income section on the application. If your parent(s) worked, they will need to submit copies of all W-2 forms.
- You can send the Bucknell University Financial Aid Data Form, and if needed, parent federal tax returns and parent W-2 information by fax, email, mail or by using our upload documents portal. To upload your tax and verification documents to us, please login to myBucknell, go to the "Financial Aid" gadget and select "Upload Financial Aid Documents."
If you are selected for federal verification as indicated on the FAFSA, you will need to submit additional documentation in order for your file to be complete. Please login to myBucknell, go to the "Financial Aid" gadget and select "Required Documents" to see what is needed.
If you did not borrow a Federal Direct Loan in the 2017-18 academic year, but you plan to do so for 2018-19, you will need to:
- Go to https://studentloans.gov to complete the two requirements below:
Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- You will need to create an account if you don't have one already.
If your parents plan to borrow a Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) for the 2018-19 academic year, please be aware of the following:
- Please do not complete the Federal Direct PLUS Loan information until May/June.
- Federal regulations require that you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before your parents may borrow a PLUS loan. Please refer to Loans.
ALL students applying for need based aid must complete the Student Disclosure/Named Scholarship Form.
- Log in to myBucknell.
- Click the Banner Web Quick Link on the left side of the screen.
- Click on the "FinAid" tab.
- Click on the "Student Disclosure/Named Scholarship Form."
- When the welcome page for the Named Scholarship Form appears, click the "Continue" button.
This form is very important as it helps us to utilize our endowed funds as efficiently as possible. Please understand that these endowed sources do not provide additional aid, but they help to fund previously awarded aid. In addition, this process provides students the opportunity to develop personal connections with our generous donors.
PLEASE NOTE: Completion of the Student Disclosure/Named Scholarship Form will not result in additional aid. This form merely helps us to distribute resources from named scholarships. Completion after the application deadline will NOT cause your financial aid file to be late.
*** Students: monitor the Bucknell Message Center through myBucknell for Financial Aid Communications ***
- Reminder information will be posted on the Bucknell Message Center during the spring semester reminding students to apply for financial aid for the 2018-19 academic year so students should check the Message Center periodically.
- You can monitor any missing documents by reviewing the Financial Aid features of Banner Web through myBucknell. Due to the huge volume of mail we receive during the processing season, it may take several days before we have entered your documents into Banner. When monitoring Banner Web, please be sure to allow several days for both mail time and data entry.
- Students who have completed their financial aid files on time will receive emails in mid-June, instructing them how to view their financial aid packages on Banner Web.