During the year, Transition Housing is available to for the following breaks and transition periods ("transition" refers to times when classes are not in session):

  • early arrivals (fall move-in)
  • fall break
  • Thanksgiving break
  • spring break
  • winter break
  • May closing

You MUST request to stay on campus during a break or transition period.

Step 1: Review the Transition & Break Housing Policies & Guidelines

Know that facilities personnel may be entering student rooms during transition periods to perform routine maintenance. Also, be aware that there may be interruptions of services (i.e. - water, electricity, etc.) during the break. While our goal is to notify students of these interruptions, emergencies may arise and timely notice may not be available.

University offices often have reduced hours during break periods, including Dining ServicesBucknell Student Health and Library & IT

Step 2: Complete Transition Housing Request Form.

Only those students who registered online with Residential Education will be provided access to their hall.

  • If you are remaining on campus for part or all of the break, carry your BU ID and room key with you at all times since all doors to all buildings will remain locked.
  • Students registering for transition periods at the beginning or end of an academic semester will receive specific information about move-out/move-in protocol.
  • Students remaining on campus during transition periods will only be permitted to enter their assigned residence hall/building on the day(s) for which they are registered.
  • If the deadline for online registration has passed, you may go to Housing Services during office hours (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) or the Office of Public Safety (after hours) to register; they can issue a Temporary Card that will be good only for the dates which you have requested.

Plan Ahead

The Housing Calendar lists all of the important dates for you to know as you make travel arrangements for the year.