Working On Campus

Bucknell offers a variety of jobs on campus. Many students have found that working on campus is a great opportunity to earn extra money, get work experience, as well as enrich their personal skills. Students in F-1 and J-1 status are permitted to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week during spring and fall semesters, and up to 40 hours during summer. || Read more about working on campus.

Working Off Campus

Many students obtain internships over the summers, and find jobs in the U.S. after graduation. Employment authorization is required before you can work off-campus. || Read more about working off campus.

Working During Breaks

During vacation breaks when classes are not in session both J-1 and F-1 students are eligible to work on campus for 40 hours per week. This is considered full-time employment in the United States. The work must be on-campus. Off-campus employment requires the authorization of the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS).

Social Security Number

A Social Security Number is required for employment. You will have the opportunity to apply for an SSN during International Orientation. Contact ISS if you do not have an SSN. || Find out more about how to obtain a Social Security Number.


If you work in the US, you will have file a tax return. Bucknell purchases a web program for non-U.S. members of our community to help with filing taxes. || Find out more about help filing U.S. taxes.

Career Development Center

The Bucknell Career Development Center assists students and alumni with employment, internships, externships, choice of majors, career and industry interests, and graduate/professional school searches. || Visit the Career Development Center.