On-Campus Hiring

  • F1 students are eligible to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week during fall and spring semesters. They may work up to 40 hours per week during the winter and summer breaks. Consult with the Payroll office for any questions related to paperwork.
  • J1 students are eligible to work 20 hours per week on campus (and 40 hours during breaks), but only if their program sponsor has approved the employment. The program sponsor may be Bucknell, or may be an outside institution or agency. Please check with International Student Services if you wish to hire a J1 student.

Off-Campus Hiring

  • F1 students are only eligible to work off-campus after securing work authorization.
  • CPT work authorization is curricular, directly related to a class, and authorized by ISS. Proof of employment authorization is shown for your worksite, printed on the third page of the student's I-20. 
  • OPT work authorization requires the student to apply for authorization through USCIS. This approval is an actual plastic card with the student's photo on it. OPT periods are generally valid for 12 months.
  • OPT is automatically extended if there is a pending (approved) H1-B application. The student should contact ISS in order to request an updated I-20 showing the extended dates.
  • Students with STEM degrees working for an E-Verify employer may also qualify for a 17-month OPT extension.