Library and information technology environments are changing profoundly, as is Bucknell and higher education as a whole. For Library & Information Technology to succeed in our mission, we must be able to respond to these changes quickly and effectively. Library & Information Technology will address the following strategic goals and initiatives to position ourselves well for the implementation of Bucknell Strategic Plan and adjust accordingly as that plan is finalized in Fall 2019.
Embrace our critical role in the academic mission of the University by collaborating with campus partners to drive innovation in teaching and scholarship. Read
- 1.1 Provide Bucknell's faculty scholars with customized information, education, and guidance as well as the technical resources and support services they need throughout all steps of the scholarly communications process.
- 1.2 Enhance teaching and learning by facilitating the use, creation and sharing of open educational resources.
- 1.3 Collaborate with campus stakeholders to enhance and refine the digital scholarship program at Bucknell.
- 1.4 Enhance and facilitate connections with students and faculty across all academic divisions to enhance and increase interdisciplinary opportunities across the colleges.
- 1.5 Partner with the campus to collectively address how our students “develop information literacy and technological competency” in a rapidly changing information environment.
- 1.6 Develop and enhance programming targeted around first-year student experiences.
Ensure the Bertrand Library is a physical space that empowers people to engage in intellectual exploration, to create, and to share knowledge across disciplines. Read
- 2.1 Assess the use of library space to ensure efficient, effective, and ethical use of resources to meet the evolving and strategic needs of the Bucknell community.
- 2.2 Work with campus constituents to address Bertrand library space needs to meet its role as the intellectual center of campus, including active creation of an accessible environment and an atmosphere of safety and inclusion.
Advance student, faculty and staff ability to derive and communicate meaningful information from data. Read
- 3.1 Provide Bucknell with comprehensive data and analytical services across academic and administrative units.
- 3.2 Build a self-service analytics model, which will allow users to connect to data wherever and however it may be stored, and to create their own reports and data visualizations.
- 3.3 Identify opportunities to develop and model the possible uses of data-informed decision making in order to grow awareness and demonstrate results.
Identify, measure, manage, and mitigate risks to the University's information and systems. Read
- 4.1 Develop innovative approaches to educational programs and outreach designed to mitigate information security risks identified through the University Enterprise Risk Management program.
- 4.2 Actively ensure that we are equipped and prepared to identify and mitigate potential security breaches and vulnerabilities.
Proactively tailor our portfolio of available services to Bucknell students, faculty, and staff. Read
- 5.1 Engage in ongoing assessment for service needs and satisfaction.
- 5.2 Develop a holistic approach to Library & Information Technology services focused on evolving campus needs.
- 5.3 Leverage Library & Information Technology staff knowledge, skills, and experience from all levels of the organization to continuously improve services to meet changing user needs.