The Bucknell University Press offers a competitive, year-long, non-paid internship for qualified sophomores, juniors, or seniors interested in scholarly publishing.
This internship is open to students from any major. No former experience in publishing is necessary to apply. The internship will teach you about all aspects of publishing scholarly books. It will require 6 hours of work per week, occasionally off-campus. The internship is not remunerated but students will earn one non-traditional study course credit for successful completion of the year-long program. The internship is equivalent to one class.
The intern will participate in the following activities, among others:
- Proposal and manuscript evaluation
- Researching external evaluators
- Attending editorial board meetings
- Updating certain aspects of the web page
- Design of dustjackets and print ads
- Design of computer ads
- Contributing to the Press blog
- Interviewing authors and writing author profiles
- Overseeing book displays on campus
- Attending scholarly conferences
- Maintaining the library
- Updating various databases (readers, authors, etc.)
- Researching new developments in publishing, including electronic publishing
- Clerical and organizational responsibilities
Since the internship offers course credit, the intern will be expected to complete one or two substantial projects for evaluation during the course of each semester. These projects will be consistent with other work, but will give the student the opportunity to produce an original project or essay that engages with important and interesting issues in scholarly publishing.
The Press seeks enterprising, flexible, and committed students able to work to deadlines in a small office. Interested students are requested to submit a letter of application, resume, two letters of recommendation from professors and/or previous employers (at Bucknell or elsewhere), and an academic transcript. Submit application in either hardcopy or electronic format to:
Bucknell University Press
1 Dent Drive
Lewisburg, PA 17837
Tel: 570. 577.3674