Jennie Araminta Davis graduates from Bucknell University after doing pre-college work at the Lewisburg Academy and the Female Institute (from which she graduated in 1895). In 1902, she marries Llewellyn Phillips, Professor of Elocution and Rhetoric and eventually Dean of the Uniiversity. Upon her husband's death in 1923, Jennie Davis Phillips joins the Bucknell faculty as an instructor of English. She is promoted in 1926 to assistant professor of English, the rank at which she will stay until her retirement in 1940. At her final meeting with the English Department, Professor Phillips is presented with a silver tray service in honor of her 18 years of service at Bucknell. The position left vacant by her retirement is filled by Mildred Martin.
L'Agenda 1924, The Bucknellian 1/23/41, Sunbury Daily Item 11/23/53, University Archives
THE INSTITUTE EXPENSES
I. Boarding Students- The regular charge for Boarding Students is $230.00 per annum; the other expenses, spending money, books, and clothing will vary with the individual student. An additional charge will be made where one student occupies a double room alone in the Main Building. Extra charge will also be made for front corner rooms in the West Wing. Students are charged extra for the washing of dresses, and for the washing of more than 12 pieces per week.
The rooms in the Bucknell College are rented in suites, for which there is an extra charge, depending on the location.
Suite on the first floor, . . . . . . . . . . . . . $39.00
II. Day Students- The charges for Day students amount to $55.00 per annum.
III. Extra Studies- The charges for Elocution, Drawing and Painting, and Music, will be found under those titles. Bills are payable strictly in advance, on the 15th of September, January, and April. Checks and drafts should be drawn in favor of the Registrar of the University. No bill will be made out for a shorter period than one term; and no deductions will be made except in the charge of board in case of a prolonged absence on account of sickness.
Bucknell Institute Regulations 1902-03
1. No student is allowed to leave the Institute grounds at any time without the permission from the Principal.
2. Unless for reasons very satisfactory, students from a distance are not permitted to visit their homes, or leave the Institute to visit with relatives or friends in town. A student will not be permitted to spend the night with friends in town.
3. None but near relatives and friends from a distance are allowed to visit with the boarding students, and such visits must be so arranged as not to interfere with the regular hours of study and recitation.
4. Students are not at liberty to invite guests to their private apartments, or to any part of the building, without permission from the Principal.
5. Teachers and students take their meals at the same table, and no special article of food is served to any one, except in the case of sickness.
6. Parents and guardians are particularly requested to refrain from furnishing their daughters and wards eatables of any kind, except for fruit.
7. Patrons visiting young ladies at the Institute may be accommodated with board at one dollar a day, if there are vacant rooms. In no case will students be required to give up their rooms to visitors. Visitors will conform to the general regulations of the Institute.
8. Regular and systematic exercise, both in the open air and in the Ladies' Gymnasium, is required of each student.
9. In the Regular course the number of daily recitations is fixed. Special students are required to engage in a number of studies as may, in the judgement of the Principal, be sufficient to occupy their time.
10. The character of each recitation is recorded at time, and result, together with a statement of the general industry and deportment of the student, is sent to the parent or guardian at the close of the term.
11. The passing grade in any study is a definite one, and must be attained before promotion can be secured.
12. No room can be reserved for a student unless definitely engaged.
13. The books and current periodicals of the College and Institute Libraries are available to all students.
14. Articles Required - Each student shall be provided with an umbrella, waterproof overshoes, table napkins, towels, covers for bureau and washstand, counterpanes, sheets and pillowcases. The size of the pillow is twenty by thirty inches; of the bureau, forty-three by nineteen inches; of the washstand, thirty-two by sixteen inches. Every article of clothing should be marked with the owner's name in full. It is especially desired that the dress of pupils shall be simple and inexpensive. Whenever praticable, the wardrobes should be prepared at home, to avoid frequent trips to town. A deposit of one dollar is made for washbowl and pitcher, which is refunded when articles are returned.
Bucknell Catalogue 1902-03
The Department of Women is renamed the College of Women. The new seventy-eight room Cottage for Women opens for occupancy in the fall. The Orange and Blue touts, "This is one of the best equipped buildings on the Campus, and one of the neatest dormitories in Pennsylvania. It is a building, well designed, and of a masterly appearance. The increase in the number of students in the Women's Department made the erection of this dormitory extremely necessary. Last year many were turned away because of the lack of proper accommodation in the college buildings, and this year an unusually large number is in attendance." Of the 667 students enrolled at Bucknell, 194 are women. The trustees later name the building Harris Hall in honor of President Harris.
Orange and Blue 9/25/05, Catalogues 04-05, Theiss
In February, Bucknell Mirror, a publication printed monthly during the college year by an association of students, presents a special issue prepared exclusively by women. It includes an article on "The Coming of the College Woman at Bucknell," a reminiscence about The Female Institute, and a piece on fashion.
Bucknell Mirror, February 1905
Having graduated from the Female Institute in 1902, Edith Hedges Kelly, named after Bucknell's first female faculty, Edith Virginia Hedges, graduates from the University. Miss Kelly's picture appears on the front page of The Orange and Blue on March 20 for the title role she played in a Dramatic Club presentation, "Mary Stuart." Edith Kelly is the first Bucknell woman to have her picture on the front page of this student newspaper. (Another woman's picture would not appear on the front page, or any other page for that matter, until October 12, 1908.) In 1917, Miss Kelly marries John T. Fetherston. In the later 1930s, she and her husband would co-found the Packwood House Museum. The present museum on Market Street in Lewisburg stands as Fetherston renovated it in 1938.
L'Agenda 1924, The Bucknellian 1/23/41
OUR BOW TO THE PUBLIC
For the first time in the history of the MIRROR we offer to the public a Woman's number. No masculine mind has planned for the subject matter of this issue, no hand of a man has desecrated its pages; we did it all ourselves. Yet not with undue elation, nor with self-conceit do we come before the public; for we are well aware of the excellent work that our brothers have always put into the paper, and we have no wish to pose as their rivals. Still we are glad of the opportunity thus afforded us to prove that not only numerically do the young women of Bucknell play a large part in the life of the school, but that they take an active part in all the interests of the University. Whether or not this issue comes up to the standard set by our brothers, let the public determine; and to this very impartial judge we make our best bow.
Bucknell Mirror, 1905
*This is image was scanned from the 1905 L'Agenda.
FEBRUARY THE SOCIAL MONTH
It is altogether fitting that the February number of the MIRROR should be the Woman's number, for thus far, at least, it is proving itself to be distinctly the social month. In February occurred the College Girls' Reception, Principal and Mrs. Edward's reception to the faculty, and various other more or less formal social functions. Besides, fortune has favored us by giving us very good sleighing, and sleighing parties seem in vogue. Not only did the Seniors enjoy a ride to New Berlin one bitter cold night when the thermometer hovered about zero--still it "was not so verra cold:--but many smaller private parties have risked freezing various parts of their anatomy just for the pleasure of the ride. Surely February is a month in which the College girl may enjoy herself to the full.
Bucknell Mirror, 1905
*This image was scanned from the 1894 L'Agenda
A new dormitory for women is built to accommodate the increasing numbers of female students. Of the 667 students enrolled, 194 are women. The trustees later name the building Harris Hall in honor of President Harris.
THE COLLEGE GIRLS' BUILDING
In this number of the MIRROR we are giving our readers a brief history of the college girls at Bucknell. How pleased some of the first "girl graduates" would be to know that the long-talked of College Girls' Building is about to become a reality! Not so very many years ago the poor college girls were regarded as a new and rather interesting species, but now this species has become so common that it no longer excites curiosity when it appears in public. Well did the Orange and Blue say that this new building is being erected "to meet a pressing emergency," for at the opening of the fall term not only was the Seminary building crowded but a number of girls were obligated to find rooms in town. At the present rate of increase in the number of College girls, we are confident that it will not be long after the completion of the building before it also is filled to over-flowing.
Bucknell Mirror, 1905