1) If I want to consider majoring in Economics, what courses should I take to find out if I like it?

You should begin with Economics 103, Economic Principles and Problems. This course is designed as a survey of economics, to introduce students to the main theories of economics and to introduce them to some contemporary economic issues.

2) What do students do with an economics major after they graduate?

The economics major is quite versatile. Students can pursue careers in financial services, government, management or business, or the non-profit sector with an economics major. It also provides good background for law school, public policy masters programs, and Ph.D. programs in many disciplines.

3) What if I want to attend graduate school in economics?

You must take five or six mathematics courses at Bucknell to be fully qualified for most graduate economics programs. See our economics graduate school advisor, Professor Kinnaman, for more details.

4) Is it true that there is a cap on economics majors?

Yes, we admit approximately 100 students per class year to the economics major.

5) How do I apply to the economic major?

In the spring of your sophomore year, complete the on-line admission form (myBucknell login required). This form indicates your interest in the major, along with your academic status. When the number of applicants reaches above the threshold of 100, acceptance to the economics major will emphasize academic achievement, with emphasis on performance in economics classes.

If you are considering applying to be an economics major, we strongly urge you to register for economics courses during your first year.

6) What is the minor in Economics?

The minor in economics consists of Economics 103 and any four courses above the 103 level. We have listed several possible tracks for minors in the Bucknell catalog; however, the minor itself is simply a minor in general economics and not a minor in one of those specialized tracks.

7) Can I take 257 before 256? Can I take 258 before taking 256?

You can take any of the 200-level courses once you have taken Economics 103. There is no requirement that you take 256 prior to 257 or to 258.

8) Can I get Bucknell credit for courses I take in a study abroad program?

You can receive 200-level credit for up to two economics courses that you take in a non-Bucknell abroad program. If the courses are not on the list of courses previously approved by the Department of Economics maintained by the Office of International Education, you will have to bring a course description to the department chair to have the course approved for credit.

9) I took the AP exam in high school but didn’t receive credit for Economics 103. Why not?

If you took only the Microeconomics AP exam or only the Macroeconomics AP exam, you have not covered the material in the Economics 103 course. Current departmental policy is to give students only Econ 100 level credit for scores of 4 or better on either the Micro or Macro AP exam. Any student who earns a score of 4 or better on both AP Macro and AP Micro can meet with the department chair to make a case for receiving Economics 103 credit. (Credit for Economics 103 is not awarded automatically, but must be requested from the department chair.)

10) If I take a CAPS course taught by a member of the economics department, will it count toward my economics major?

CAPS courses taught by members of the economics department can also be counted as a 200-level economics course.

11) If I take Economics 227 to fulfill my international relations major, can I also count that course toward an economics major or minor?

No. The University rules are that courses applied to the major requirements for any one major cannot be double counted to meet requirements for another major or minor. You will have to decide whether Economics 227 should count as an international relations course or as an economics course.

12) If I take Economics 256 as a co-requisite for management, can I also count that course toward an economics major or minor?

Yes. Because Economics 256 is a co-requisite course for management but not part of the management curriculum, it can be counted toward an economics major or minor.

13) What is the difference between Math 192 and Math 201?

Both of these courses satisfy the economics math requirement, so it is mainly a matter of personal choice. But, if you think you might eventually want to get a Ph.D. in economics or pursue a graduate degree in any field that will use rigorous mathematics, it would be advisable to take Math 201.

14) Does my Economics 301, Independent Study, count toward as one of the two 300-level requirements toward the major?

Yes, it does count.