- Ph.D., Fordham University
- M.T.S., Emory University
- B.A., Elon University
- Early Christianity and Late Antiquity
- Religion and the History of Medicine
- Religion in Ancient Greece and Rome
- Western Religious History
- History of Christianity
- History of Biblical Interpretation
- Theories of Religion
- Gender, Sexuality, and Religion
- Religion and Pop Culture
Raised on Christian Milk: Food and the Formation of the Soul in Early Christianity (Yale University Press, 2017).
"Fed to Perfection: Mother's Milk, Roman Family Values, and the Transformation of the Soul in Gregory of Nyssa," Church History 84:3 (Fall 2015): 1-36.
"The Health-Giving Cup: Cyprian's Ep. 63 and the Medicinal Power of Eucharistic Wine," Journal of Early Christian Studies 23.2 (Summer 2015): 189-211.