(Bucknell in London, fall 2017)
Co-director, Center for Social Science Research
- B.A., Millsaps College
- M.A., Georgetown University
- Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin
- Remaking America: Latin American Immigration and Hispanic Ethnicity
- Sociology of Stratification: Race/Ethnicity and Class
- Sociology of Latin America
- Analyzing the Social World: Quantitative Data Analysis
Current Projects and Research Interests
- International Migration from Yucatan Mexico
- Immigration policy in the United States and growing role of detention
- Historical comparison of state immigration laws and culture of immigrant reception
- FULBRIGHT-HAYS FACULTY RESEARCH AWARD, 2008-2009 Proposal Title "Voces de Tabi: Yucatecan Mayan Immigrants, Hometown Associations, and Transnational Activism." J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board and the Department of Education.
- FORD DOUNDATION PREPARING FUTURE FACULTY FELLOWSHIP 1992-1994
Jacobson, Robin Dale and T. Elizabeth Durden. Forthcoming in Migration Studies. “Old Poison in New Security Bottles: Contemporary Immigration Restriction and the Detention Regime.”
Durden, T. Elizabeth and Robin Dale Jacobson. In Press. March 2014. “The Rise of Nativism.” Chapter 11 in Hidden Lives and Human Rights in the United States: Understanding the Controversies and Tragedies of Undocumented Immigration. Vol. 3, edited by Lois Lorentzen. Santa Barbara California: Praeger Press.
Durden, T. Elizabeth and Lucy Grymes Dean*. 2013. “Hispanic Adults’ Health Insurance Coverage: An Assessment of Subgroup Difference and the Impact of Immigration.” The Social Science Journal Vol 50(4): 658-664. (*Bucknell University Undergraduate Student)
Durden, T. Elizabeth. 2007. “Usual Source of Health Care among Hispanic Children: The Implications of Immigration.” Medical Care Vol 45 (8):753-760.
Durden, T. Elizabeth. 2007. “Nativity, Duration of Residence, Citizenship and Access to Health Care for Hispanic Children.” International Migration Review Vol 41 (2):537-545.
Frisbie, W. Parker, Robert A. Hummer, T. Elizabeth Durden and Youngtae Cho. 2007. “Health Patterns of Pacific Islanders and Asians in the United States” Pp. 192-218 in Health Change in the Asia-Pacific Region: Biocultural and Epidemiological Approaches,edited by Ryutaro Ohtsuka and Stanley J. Ulijaszek. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Durden, T. Elizabeth and Robert A. Hummer. 2006. “Access to Health Care among Working-Aged Hispanic Adults in the United States.” Social Science Quarterly Vol 87(5):1319-1343.
Raley, Kelly, T. Elizabeth Durden and Elizabeth Wildsmith. 2004. “Understanding Mexican-American Marriage Patterns Using a Life-Course Approach.” Social Science Quarterly Vol 85 (4):872-890.
Ward, Peter M. and Elizabeth Durden. 2002. “Government and Democracy in Mexico’s Federal District, 1997-2001: Cárdenas, the PRD and the Curate’s Egg.” Bulletin of Latin American Research Vol 21 (1):1-39.
Naples Daily News (January 11, 2014). “Florida GOPs Diaz-Balart, Illinois Democrat form alliance to reform immigration.”
The Financial Times. (October 31, 2013). “Illegal Immigration Debate Splits the GOP Yet Again.”
Wisconsin Public Radio. (June 27, 2013). At Issue. A one hour call in show discussing what’s next for immigration reform.