Final Examination Policy
The University faculty adopted on Dec. 6, 2004, the following policy regarding final exam scheduling.
The faculty recommends that all classes be concluded with a final examination that stresses the integration of the course materials unless inapplicable to the course matter.
- From 7 a.m. the day following the last day of classes to the end of the period of final examinations, no student events of any kind other than voluntary review sessions may be scheduled either officially or unofficially, including: additional class hours, meetings, seminars, social events, athletic games, professional interviews, special programs or any examinations beyond the final exams scheduled through the registrar's office.
- The dates for final examinations are given in the University calendar. In no case may a final examination, including a take-home examination, be administered or be due in advance of the time appointed for the final examination. Students are expected to lodge a complaint with the dean of the appropriate college should their instructor violate this regulation.
- Individual faculty members may not reschedule final exams for individual students without approval of the associate dean of the student's college.
- A student may be excused from a final examination in the case of serious illness or other grave emergency. Such excuses can only be authorized by the associate dean of the student's college. In such cases, make-up examinations will be given at such time as the instructor appoints.
- Students who wish to reschedule an exam in order to participate in a culminating academic event or culminating varsity-level athletic event may be allowed to do so upon the agreement of the associate dean of the student's college and the faculty member whose exam conflicts with the event. In order to be eligible for this accommodation, the student must be an active participant in the event, the event must be scheduled by a non-Bucknell organization, and there must be no suitable alternative to the event.
- The University policy regarding the last week of classes and the final examination period will be posted each semester on the registrar's office webpage.
If you have any questions, please contact Vince Pellegrini, assistant registrar for academic scheduling, at firstname.lastname@example.org.