- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Cornell University
- M.Eng. in Mechanical Engineering, Cornell University
- M.B.A. in Operations Research, Cornell University
- Ph.D. in Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, Penn State University
- Processing effects on mechanical and material properties
- Manufacturing process modeling and optimization
- Materials characterization
- Rigid Body and Deformable Body Mechanics
- Engineering Statistics and Mathematics
- Engineering Optimization
Selected Grant Awards
- Instrumentation for Research in Materials Characterization and Nondestructive Evaluation, National Science Foundation, Grant No. 0619232, Co-PI (with M.M.Sharma).
- Integrating Nanotechnology into Undergraduate Engineering Curricula at Bucknell University, National Science Foundation, Grant No. 0741487, Senior Personnel (PIErin Jablonski).
- Practice-Based Manufacturing Education-Adapting a Learning Factory Approach ,National Science Foundation, Grant No. 0410683, PI (with J.P. Iselin).
- Layered Manufacturing Decision Support and Design Feedback, National Science Foundation, Grant No. 9813042, PI.
- Rapid Prototyping Center, Ben Franklin Technology Partners, Challenge Grant No. 6011, PI (with J. Politis).
- Manufacturing Processes Laboratory/Instructional Facility, National Science Foundation, Grant No. 9750788, PI.
- Product Realization Consortium: Systems Approach to Manufacture, National Science Foundation, Grant No. 9413089-3, Co-PI (with D.W. Taylor).
- Product Realization Consortium: Systematic Reform of Manufacturing Education, National Science Foundation, Grant No. 9413089-2, PI.
- Presidential Professor 2015-18
- Presidential Award for Teaching Excellence 2012
R.D. Ziemian and C.W. Ziemian (2017). Formulation and Validation of Minimum Brace Stiffness for Systems of Compression Members, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 129, pp 263-275.
C.W. Ziemian, R.D. Ziemian, K.V. Haile (2016). Characterization of Stiffness Degradation caused by Fatigue Damage of Additive Manufactured Parts, Materials & Design, 109, pp. 209 - 218.
C.W. Ziemian and W.J. Wright (2016). An Experimental Study of Cold Sprayed Fe-Based Metallic Glass Powder Particles, Proceedings of 30th International Conference on Surface Modification Technologies (SMT30), Milan, Italy, June 29-July 1.
R.D. Ziemian and C.W. Ziemian (2015). Ideal Brace Stiffness for Systems with Multiple Parallel Members, Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures, Lisbon, Portugal, July 22-24.
D.E. Cipoletti, C.W. Ziemian, W.J. Wright, D.J. Helfritch, K.V. Haile, M.N. Okwara, K.A. Hetherington (2015). Critical Velocity Window for the Deposition of Iron-Based Metallic Glass Particles using Cold Spray, Proceedings of International Thermal Spray Conference, Long Beach, California, May 11-14.
C.W. Ziemian, D.E. Cipoletti, S.N. Ziemian, M.N. Okwara, K.V. Haile (2014). Monotonic and Cyclic Tensile Properties of ABS Components Fabricated by Additive Manufacturing, Proceedings of 25th International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, University of Texas, Austin, Texas, August 4-6.
C.W. Ziemian, M.M. Sharma, B.D. Bouffard, T. Nissley, T.J. Eden (2014). Effect of Substrate Surface Roughening and Cold Spray Coating on the Fatigue Life of AA2024 Specimens. Materials and Design, Volume 54, pp 212-221.
C.W. Ziemian, M.M. Sharma, B.D. Bouffard (2012), Effect of Surface Preparation and Cold Sprayed Coating on Fatigue Performance of AA2024-T351 Substrates, Proceedings of 2012 VI Aluminium Surface Science & Technology Symposium, Sorrento, Italy, 27-31 May, 2012.
C.W. Ziemian, M.M. Sharma, S.N. Ziemian (2012), Anisotropic Mechanical Properties of ABS Parts Fabricated by Fused Deposition Modelling, In: Mechanical Engineering, Dr. Murat Gokcek (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-51-0505-3, InTech;
C.W. Ziemian, D.E. Whaley, M.M. Sharma (2012), Effects of Flashing and Upset Sequences on Microstructure, Hardness, and Tensile Properties of Welded Structural Steel Joints, Materials and Design, 33(1): 175-184.
M.M. Sharma, C.W. Ziemian, T.J. Eden (2011), Fatigue Behavior of SiC Particulate Reinforced Spray-Formed 7XXX Series Aluminum Alloys, Materials and Design, 32(8-9): 4304-4309.
C.W. Ziemian, R.D. Ziemian, E.T. Barker (2010), "Shake-Table Simulation Study on Small Scale Layered Models," Rapid Prototyping Journal, 16(1): 4-11.
M.M. Sharma, C.W. Ziemian, T.J. Eden (2010) "Processing and Composition Effects on the Fracture Behavior of Spray Formed 7XXX series Al-alloys," Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 19(9): 1344-1351.
M.M. Sharma, C.W. Ziemian (2008), "Pitting and Stress Corrosion Cracking Susceptibility of Nanostructured Al-Mg Alloys in Natural and Artificial Environments," Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 17(6): 870-878.
C.W. Ziemian, M.M. Sharma (2008), "Adapting Learning Factory Concepts Towards Integrated Manufacturing Education," International Journal of Engineering Education, 24(1): 199-210.