Derek Palacio is an Assistant Professor of English. His work has appeared in The Kenyon Review, Puerto del Sol, Los Angeles Review, The Pinch and elsewhere, and his story "Sugarcane" was selected for inclusion in The O. Henry Prize Stories 2013. He is the author of How to Shake the Other Man from Nouvella Books.
- M.F.A., Ohio State University
- B.A., College of the Holy Cross
- Creative writing (fiction and screenwriting)
- Contemporary literature
- Latin American literature
Current Projects and Research Interests
- Currently at work on a novel about a Catholic family living in Hartford, CT, following their escape from Cuba as part of the 1980 Mariel Boatlift. Derek also currently serves as a faculty member at the Sewanee Young Writers' Conference at the University of the South, and he is co-director, along with Claire Vaye Watkins, of the Mojave School, a non-profit creative writing workshop for teenagers in rural Nevada.
How to Shake the Other Man, forthcoming from Nouvella Books in May 2013.
"Sugarcane" first appeared in The Kenyon Review Volume XXXIV, No. 2 and has been anthologized in The O. Henry Prize Stories 2013, forthcoming from Anchor Books in September 2013.