"Take the Opportunity"
Many of Bucknell's faculty, staff and students, and even our president, John Bravman, became the first in their family to pursue a four-year college degree. Here they share their stories and encourage those who are considering their college options.
Why choose Bucknell for your four-year degree?
- You'll be part of a strong and supportive community
- In addition to faculty mentors, our students turn for advice to staff members and peers across campus. Eighty-seven percent of seniors said Bucknell provided them with the support they needed to succeed academically. (National Survey of Student Engagement, 2011)
- The third-best things alumni say Bucknell has done for them? We have helped them develop good, lifelong friendships. (Hart Research Associates Alumni Survey, 2011)
- You're very likely to stay and be satisfied
- 95 percent of our first-year students return for their sophomore year. This places Bucknell in the top 25 among liberal arts colleges for its high retention rate.
- 97 percent of graduating seniors evaluate their entire educational experience at Bucknell as excellent or good. (National Survey of Student Engagement, 2011)
- You're highly likely to graduate on time
- Within nine months after graduation, 94.5 percent of the Class of 2011 was employed, in graduate school or volunteering. (2011 Bucknell Career Development Center Post-Graduate Survey)
- The second-best thing alumni say Bucknell has done for them? We've contributed to their personal growth and made them confident and responsible adults. (Hart Associates Alumni Survey, 2011)
- he top thing our alumni say about Bucknell? That we gave them a good education that prepared them for graduate school and their careers. (Hart Associates Alumni Survey, 2011)
Bucknell’s First-Generation Stories: Take the Opportunity series is inspired by the Center for Student Opportunity’s “I’m First” project, an online community offering support, advice and encouragement to students who will be the first in their family to reach this goal.