- Ph.D., Purdue University
- M.S., Purdue University
- B.S., University of Rochester
- Tectonics and sedimentation of forearc, fold-thrust, and strike-slip orogens
- Physical sedimentology and petrology of clastic deposystems, including detrital geochronologic studies to evaluate sediment provenance.
- Application of field, sedimentologic, geochronologic, paleontologic, petrologic, geochemical, and paleomagnetic data to the evolution of sedimentary basins and the tectonic development of the North American Cordillera - emphases in Mesozoic-Cenozoic forearc, intra-arc, strike-slip, and retroarc foreland basins in southern Alaska, including twelve field seasons in the Alaska Range, Wrangell-St. Elias Range, and Talkeetna Mountains
- Physical sedimentology and stratigraphy of sedimentary strata in Alaska, Arizona, and Pennsylvania, including recent studies on fossil eurypterid-bearing Silurian carbonates in Pennsylvania and fossil fish-bearing Devonian fluvial strata in north-central Pennsylvania.
- Mars-Earth analog studies of alpine escarpments prone to mass-wasting, including integrated geomorphic-geophysical studies in Alaska and New Zealand.
- GEOL 107 - Global Change - Past and Present
- GEOL 204 - Evolution of the Earth
- GEOL 309 Sedimentology and Stratigraphy
- GEOL 317 - Paleontology
- Foundation Seminar - Sixth Extinction (Environmental Residential College)
- Travel Field Geology Courses - (Field Geology of Alaska, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah)
([ ] indicates graduation year of Bucknell University student co-author)
Trop, J.M., Broussard, D., Daeschler, T., Donofrio, R.[’17’], 2016, Sedimentology of Upper Devonian tetrapod and fish assemblages in Catskill Formation sites of north-central Pennsylvania: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 48, no. 7, doi: 10.1130/abs/2016AM-278573.
Trop, J.M., Benowitz, J.A, Davis, K.N., Layer, P.W., Brueseke, M.E., 2016, U-Pb and 40Ar/39Ar detrital geochronology of modern river sediments in the Wrangell Mountains, Alaska: improved constraints on the age and tectonic evolution of Jurassic-Quaternary magmatism: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 48, no. 7, doi: 10.1130/abs/2016AM-278082.
Broussard, D., Daeschler, T., Trop, J.M., 2016, Paleontology of Upper Devonian tetrapod and fish assemblages in Catskill Formation sites of north-central Pennsylvania: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 48, no. 2, doi: 10.1130/abs/2016NE-272379.
Benowitz, J.A., Trop, J.M., Cole, R.B., Layer, P.W., O’Sullivan, P., Roeske, S.M., Brueseke, M.E., 2016, Mesozoic-Cenozoic magmatic history of the Alaska Range suture zone: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 48, no. 7, doi: 10.1130/abs/2016AM-277989.
Bliss, B.[‘10], Scales, C.[‘18], Moretti, B.[‘18], Grune, S.[‘17], Kochel, R.C., Trop, J.M., Jacob, R.W., and Williams, K., 2016, The effects of catchment morphology on the transfer of ice and sediment from ice caps to icy debris fans and valley glaciers in deglaciating alpine environments: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 48, no. 7., doi: 10.1130/abs/2016AM-279608.
REFEREED JOURNAL ARTICLES (published or accepted)
Finzel, E., Ridgway, K.D., Trop, J.M., 2015, Provenance of the Cook Inlet forearc basin, southern Alaska: investigating the effects of Cenozoic spreading-ridge and flat-slab subduction on sediment transport along convergent margins: Geosphere, v. 11, no 3, doiL10.1130/GES0129.1.
Vrazo, M., Trop, J.M, Brett, C.E., 2014, A new eurypterid lagerstatte from the Upper Silurian of Pennsylvania: Palaios, v. 29, p. 431-448.
Sunderlin, D., Trop, J.M., Idleman, B.D., Brannick, A., White, J.G., and Grande, L., 2014, Paleoenvironment and paleoecology of a late Paleocene high-latitude terrestrial succession, Arkose Ridge Formation at Box Canyon, southern Talkeetna Mountains, Alaska: Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, v. 401, p. 57-80.
Kortyna, C.['11], Donaghy, E.['12], Trop, J.M., and Idleman, B., 2013, Provenance signature of a forearc basin modified by spreading ridge subduction: detrital zircon geochronology and detrital modes from the Paleogene Arkose Ridge Formation, southern Alaska: Basin Research, v. 25, p. 1-25, DOI: 10.1111/bre.12033.
Trop, J.M., Snyder, D., Hart, W.K., and Idleman, B.D., 2012, Miocene basin development and volcanism along a strike-slip to flat-slab subduction transition: stratigraphy, geochemistry, and geochronology of the central Wrangell volcanic belt, Yakutat-North America collision zone: Geosphere, v. 8; no. 4; p. 805-834.