How to help a student who shares that they have experienced sexual harassment, sexual assault, and/or relationship violence:
- Assess the survivor’s immediate safety and medical needs. If the survivor is in danger or it is a medical emergency, call Public Safety (570-577-1111) immediately to respond to the situation and/or provide transportation to the hospital.
- Share information regarding the survivor’s right to contact Public Safety (570-577-1111) and encourage the survivor to speak directly with an Advocate (570-850-6115). The Advocate can provide support and advice on medical, academic, judicial or legal issues, counseling, and housing relocation. Offer to assist the survivor in making contacts as requested.
- Provide online information to the survivor, showing them Bucknell’s sexual misconduct website when possible (www.bucknell.edu/sexualmisconduct). Make the survivor aware that the resources remain available to them, even if the survivor prefers not to connect with resources in the short term.
- Convey to the survivor that all reports of sexual assault will be handled in confidence to the extent possible and allowed by law.
Because the University has a responsibility to provide a safe and nondiscriminatory environment, you must share information concerning the incident with the University’s Title IX Coordinator, who oversees all reports of sexual misconduct and relationship violence. The Title IX Coordinator will contact the survivor to assess the situation and provide information concerning resources and options. Talking with the Title IX Coordinator does not mean that the survivor is filing a formal complaint. The Title IX Coordinator will preserve the privacy and confidentiality of the individuals involved to the extent possible and allowed by law.
In accordance with Clery Act requirements, certain information will be shared with Public Safety for statistical and timely warning purposes.
e.g., “I need to report that this incident occurred. The Title IX Coordinator will send you an email asking if you would be willing to talk with her about the incident and any concerns or needs you may have. The University takes all reports very seriously and needs to make sure you’re safe and supported.”
- Promptly complete the Sexual Misconduct and Relationship Violence Reporting Form found at www.bucknell.edu/sexualmisconduct. Please provide as much information as you have, including the names of the survivor and alleged perpetrator. You may skip any portion of the form for which you do not have information.
If you have questions, please contact Barbara Martin, Title IX Coordinator, at 570.577.1554 or email@example.com.
This information is also available as a "How to Help" pdf.