Majoring in English with a Literary Studies Concentration
The minimum requirement for a major in English with a Concentration in Literary Studies is nine courses in English. Foundation Seminars or 100-level English courses other than ENGL 198 and ENGL 199 will not satisfy major requirements.
Specific requirements of the Concentration in Literary Studies are:
- ENGL 198 Ways of Reading (Literary Studies concentrators are stongly encouraged to take this course as early in their program of coursework as posssible).
- ENGL 199 Survey of English and American Literature (English majors are strongly encouraged to take this course as early in their program of coursework as possible).
- Two courses in Medieval or Early Modern Literature (historical period requirement) - such courses generally concern themselves with texts composed from the beginnings of British literature to approximately 1660.
- One course in Enlightenment or 19th-century Literature (historical period requirement) - such courses generally concern themselves with texts composed from 1660 to 1900.
- One course in African-American Literature, Postcolonial literature, or another designated Race and Ethnicity Studies course (can double-count for historical requirement).
- Two seminars. (Seminar courses may double-count for historical requirements); Independent Study (ENGL 319) will not satisfy the seminar requirement.
- Sufficient electives in English at the 200-level or above to ensure the completion of the required nine courses; may include additional seminar courses.
- The English Experience: a Culminating Experience that requires seniors concentrating in Literary Studies to attend six appropriate events during one senior semester selected from a list designated by the department as acceptable for the English Experience. Students will submit a 250-word response to their advisers after each event, and advisers will submit a pass/fail grade for this Culminating Experience. Students may petition the department chairperson if they wish to suggest an alternative project as their Culminating Experience.
Minoring in English with a Literary Studies Concentration
The English minor in Literary Studies consists of five courses in English above the 100 level (with the exception of ENGL 198 and ENGL 199, which does count toward the minor). One of the five courses must be a seminar. Students planning to minor in Literary Studies are strongly encouraged to meet with a professor in the English Department to construct a coherent minor that focuses on a particular area of study (for example, Race and Ethnic Studies, Dramatic Literature, Literary Theory, Medieval and Renaissance Literature, Women Writers, or Anglophone Literature).