- B.S. in Materials Science and Engineering (Ceramic Science and Engineering), The Pennsylvania State University
- M.S. in Engineering Mechanics, The Pennsylvania State University-Applied Research Laboratory
- Ph.D. in Engineering Science and Mechanics, The Pennsylvania State University-Applied Research Laboratory
- Nanoindentation methods to characterize material behavior
- Nanomaterials characterization
- Hard coatings for defense applications
- Environmental degradation of materials
- Non-destructive testing and evaluation
- Structure property relationships for engineered materials
- Spray metal forming
- Metal matrix and polymer matrix composites
- Ceramic cutting tools
- Materials Science
- Mechanics I & II
- Manufacturing Processes
- Solid Mechanics
- Mechanics of Composites
- Fracture Mechanics
Recent Grants and Awards
- Curricular Development Grant for ENGR 242, Bucknell University (2012) - Principal Investigator
- National Science Foundation, Material Research Instrumentation Program (NSF-MRI): "Acquisition of a Nanoindenter for Characterization of Biological and Advanced Engineering Materials" D.Ebenstein (PI), M.Sharma, C.Stayton & K.Wakabayashi (Co-PI's). $262,852 (2010)
- Curricular Development Grant, Bucknell University, "Reform of Traditional On-Board Lecture Format to Teach Qualitative Based Courses" (2008) - Principle Investigator
M.M. Sharma, C.W. Ziemian and B.D. Bouffard, "Effect of Surface Preparation on Corrosion Performance of Cold Sprayed Coatings Applied to AA2024-T351 Substrates" Proceedings of VI Aluminium Surface Science & Technology Symposium May 27th - 31st (2012) in Sorrento, Italy
C.W. Ziemian, M.M. Sharma, B.D. Bouffard, "Effect of Surface Preparation and Cold Spray Coating on the Fatigue Performance of AA2024 Substrates" in Proceedings at VI Aluminium Surface Science & Technology Symposium May 27th - 31st (2012) in Sorrento, Italy
Ziemian, C.W., Sharma, M.M., Ziemian, S.N. (2012). Anisotropic Mechanical Properties of ABS Parts Fabricated by Fused Deposition Modelling, In: Mechanical Engineering, Dr. Murat Gokcek (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-51-0505-3, InTech, Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/mechanical-engineering/anisotropic-mechanical-properties-of-abs-parts-fabricated-by-fused-deposition-modeling
Ziemian, C.W., Sharma, M.M., Whaley, D.E., "Effects of flashing and upset sequences on microstructure, hardness, and tensile properties of welded structural steel joints", J of Mater and Design, 33 (2012) pp. 175-184
Sharma M.M., Ziemian C.W. and Eden T.J, "Fatigue behavior of SiC particulate reinforced spray- formed 7XXX series Al-alloys", J of Mater and Design, 32 (2011) pp. 4304-4309
M.M. Sharma and B. D. Bouffard, "Assessment of the Long Term Corrosion Protection of AluminumCoatings on Aerospace Alloys Applied by the Cold Spray Process" Presented at ASM International's AeroMat 2010 Conference and Expo, June 21-24 (2010) Meydenbauer Center, Bellevue Washington.
B. D. Bouffard and M.M. Sharma, "Investigation of Corrosion Resistant Coatings Applied by Cold Spray for use in Aerospace Applications" Presented at ASM International's AeroMat 2010 Conference and Expo, June 21-24 (2010) Meydenbauer Center, Bellevue Washington.
AFRL/MLLMP - Small Business Innovation Research Phase II Report"
Innovative Corrosion Protection via Cold Spray Kinetic Metallization", Timothy Eden Brock Golesich, John Potter, Ashley Norris, Mala Sharma and Douglas Wolfe (April 2010). Air Force Research Laboratory, Materials and Manufacturing, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
Sharma M.M., Ziemian C.W. and Eden T.J," Processing and Composition Effects on the Fracture Behavior of Spray Formed 7XXX Series Al-alloys", Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance: Volume 19, Issue 9 (2010), Page 1344-1351.
Ziemian, C.W., Sharma, M.M., Riglin, J.D., (2009), "Influence of Process Parameters on the Characteristics of Structural Steel Flash-Butt Welded Joints," submitted to Materials and Design (Aug 2009).
Ziemian, C.W., Sharma, M.M and Powanda, J.T., "Study of the Flash Butt Welding of High Strength Carbon-Manganese Steel" in proceedings of 2009 NSF CMMI Engineering Research and Innovation Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii (June 2009).
Sharma, M.M, Ziemian, C.W., Bouffard, B.D, Powanda, J.T. and Riglin, J.D. "Acquisition of Instrumentation for Materials Characterization and Nondestructive Evaluation" Poster Presentation at the 2009 NSF CMMI Engineering Research and Innovation Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii (June 2009).