Expectations for Student Academic Advising Meetings
All biomedical engineering students are expected to follow these guidelines in preparing for meetings with faculty academic advisers. If a student comes to an advising meeting unprepared, he/she will be asked to come back at a later time after properly preparing for the meeting. Students are reminded that it is ultimately each student's responsibility to make sure that all degree requirements are satisfied.
To prepare for the advising meetings, every student must:
- Sign up for an advising week meeting time. Students who feel they need more advising time are encouraged to sign up for more than one time slot.
- Login to Banner Web (via myBucknell) and review a copy of his/her academic progress report to see what courses need to be taken and to examine what requirements still need to be fulfilled.
- Update his/her copy of the BME Department Curriculum Checklist. If a new checklist is needed, one may be found in the BME public space in the "Advising & Registration Documents" folder. NOTE: Students should be sure to use the correct file for their graduation year.
- Determine the exact courses that need to be taken in the next semester. For elective courses, each student should have first and second (and maybe third) choices identified.
- Arrive at your advising meeting with:
a completed BME Curriculum Checklist
knowledge of what courses need to be taken in the next semester and at what times they are offered
a document showing a mapping of the student's weekly schedule for the next semester
Information on Social Science and Humanities Courses
Students may find course information, including approved social science and humanities courses, by following the Course Information link on the Info for Current Engineering Students web page. Please note that the courses listed as Engineering Humanities or Engineering Social Science are approved courses for engineers. The courses listed as just humanities or just social science are for Arts & Science students. While a lot of overlap exists between the two lists, students should be careful to only consider the ones listed with the "Engineering" modifier when fulfilling Soc/Hum requirements.
Location of Electronic Documents
Copies of relevant advising and registration documents are available in the BME public space at R:\biomed_engineering\public\Advising & Registration Documents. Students should be sure to use the correct files for their graduation year.
- Curriculum Checklists
- Current curricula outlining degree requirements
- List of offered BMEG electives
- List of approved engineering electives
- List of approved physiology courses