The study of public policy includes:
- Identification and measurement of social problems that arise at the institutional, local, state, federal and international levels.
- Study of the political processes that create specific policies
- Study of the intended and unintended effects of policies
- How individuals and institutions respond to the implementation of policies
- How public and private institutions function under policies
- Examination of relevant historical circumstances that have led to public problems
- How policies and their effects change over time