Thursday, March 26, 7:30 p.m.
Celebrated not least for the invention of their original genre, the reed quintet, Calefax is known internationally for their virtuosic playing and their "pop" sensibility as they arrange, recompose and interpret music from eight centuries to suit their unique constellation.
From early music to classical and jazz to world premieres, in the hands of Calefax it all sounds fresh and new.
The Times (UK) has called them "five extremely gifted Dutch gents who almost made the reed quintet seem the best musical format on the planet."
While at the Weis Center, they will perform:
Ode to Amsterdam
- Mozart: Quintet in C Minor (23')
- Franz Liszt: "Années de pèlerinage" (Years of Pilgrimage, Switzerland) (17')
- Locatelli: "Introduzione teatrale" (6')
- Henriëtte Bosmans: String Quartet (1927) (12')
- Conlon Nancarrow: Studies for Player Piano No. 2 & No. 3c (6')
- Strauss: "Till Eulenspiegel" (13')
Seniors 62+ and subscribers: $20
Youth 18 and under: $15
Bucknell employees and retirees (limit 2): $15
Bucknell students (limit 2): $10
Non-Bucknell students (limit 2): $15