Student Visa Information

At Bucknell, we're committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse campus.

Our International Student Services office helps support this effort by guiding students through the process of applying for a student visa, which is required for citizens of a foreign country who wish to study in the United States.

Below, you'll find information about the two different types of visas that apply to Bucknell students, as well as information on immigration status and travel.

Getting Your F-1 Student Visa

The F-1 Student Visa is issued for full-time study in the U.S. In order to apply for the F-1 visa, the prospective student must receive a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status, Form 1-20.

International Student Services is responsible for all matters related to student as well as some scholar immigration documentation. ISS will issue the Form I-20 (used to apply for the F-1 visa) once all required information has been obtained from the student and from various campus departments. Keep in mind that one requirement is to be able to certify for the cost of one year of attendance. If you did not do this at the time of application, you will need to complete this prior to receiving the I-20.

Learn more

Immigration Status & Travel

Learn about the standard immigration documents you'll need to attend school in the U.S., maintain your legal status and travel home or abroad over breaks.

Learn more

J-1 Student Visa

The J-1 Student Visa is often used for Bucknell's exchange students and language teaching assistants.

Learn more

Confidential Statement of Finance

The financial guarantee for international students is required by federal law, and enforced by the State Department and the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) under the auspices of a Student (F-1) Visa. Students must certify that they have sufficient financial support to complete the program of study, and they must show a documented guarantee for at least the first nine months of study.

Learn more

How to Get Help

Students, faculty and staff with questions on these and related issues should contact:

Jennifer Figueroa, director of International Student Services 

International Student Services


064 Elaine Langone Center


8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.