Specifically, the council is charged with:
- Developing and overseeing the implementation of Bucknell's Strategic Plan for Diversity.
- Assessing, monitoring and reporting on progress toward achieving strategic diversity goals.
- Reviewing and revising (as needed) Bucknell's diversity goals and strategies.
Primary areas of focus include:
- Diversity of the faculty, staff and student bodies.
- Campus culture and climate.
- Curricular and co-curricular diversity-centered learning opportunities.
- Institutional practices and policies.
The council recognizes the importance of sharing information as well as soliciting and responding to feedback from members of the campus community. As advocates for diversity, inclusiveness and equity, the council values and promotes cross-campus collaboration; consults with faculty, staff and campus offices; and regularly supports and participates in diversity-enrichment opportunities.
John C. Bravman
Interim Associate Provost for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Dean, Freeman College of Management
Dean, College of Engineering
Dean, College of Arts & Sciences
Vice President for Enrollment Management
Vice President for Human Resources
Dean of Students
Associate Dean of Students for Diversity & Inclusion
Senior Associate Athletics Director and Senior Women's Administrator
Faculty Chair and Professor of Music
Professor of English
M. Laura Beninati
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Assistant Professor of Spanish
President’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Awards
The annual President's Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Awards recognize significant contributions to the University's efforts to build and nurture an inclusive campus community. Criteria for selection include:
- Achieving an aspect of The Plan for Bucknell's Enhancing Diversity strategy.
- Promoting student learning related to Bucknell University's Educational Goal No. 3: Develop knowledge and skills for interpreting the commonalities and differences among human societies, including diverse cultural perspectives and traditions within the United States and internationally, to enable living and working effectively in a global context.
- Implementing an aspect of Bucknell's 2014-19 Diversity Plan (such as addressing campus demographics and retention; climate and culture; student learning; and/or practices, policies and accountability).
- Enhancing diversity and inclusion.
2018–19 Award Winners
Student: Brishti Mandal '20
Faculty: Professor Erica Delsandro, women's & gender studies
Staff: Kelsey Hicks, director, Women's Resource Center
Student Organization: Black Student Union
Collaborative Team: B-Eats
Nominations for the 2019–20 Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Awards will open in January 2020. For more information, contact:
Jenn Holdren, assistant to the associate provost for diversity, equity & inclusion