Please note: You are viewing an archived Bucknell University news story. It is possible that information found on this page has become outdated or inaccurate, and links and images contained within are not guaranteed to function correctly.
By Kathryn Kopchik
LEWISBURG, Pa. — The Weis Center for the Performing Arts at Bucknell University will feature a dozen events from January through April; three events are free. All events are open to the public.
The 12 spring events include world music, jazz, blues, modern dance, traditional dance from Poland, classical, and a kid-friendly performance.
The spring season will kick-off on Friday, Jan. 24, at 7:30 p.m. with Les Ballets Jazz de Montreal, a modern dance troupe from Canada.
An internationally renowned repertory company, Les Ballets Jazz de Montreal (BJM) has continued to grow with all the energy and spirit of exploration for which it has been known since its birth in 1972. While preserving the essence of the company, BJM works today with some of the most prestigious figures in the world of dance and contemporary ballet.
Kathryn Maguet, executive director of the Weis Center, says of the spring season, "We are excited to continue to provide diverse opportunities for artistic and creative exploration. The Weis Center remains steadfast in its commitment to bringing the finest imaginative and talented performing artists to this area."
Spring highlights at the Weis Center for the Performing Arts include:
- Three free concerts at the Campus Theatre: award-winning blues musicians Ruthie Foster and Eric Bibb on Feb. 12, Hungarian gypsy band Romano Drom on Feb. 26, and one-of-a-kind classical guitar ensemble Dublin Guitar Quartet on March 26.
- Music and dance from around the world, including Celtic music by Martin Hayes Masters of Tradition on March 21 and Indian tabla virtuoso Zakir Hussain and Masters of Percussion on April 11.
- Classical music from Szymanowski Quartet on Jan. 31, Venice Baroque Orchestra on Feb. 21, and Sybarite5 on April 4.
- Modern dance by Les Ballets Jazz de Montreal on Jan. 24.
- A kid-friendly performance featuring Lightwire Theater's Dino Light on March 1.
- Jazz by Jason Moran and the Bandwagon on April 17. In 2010, Moran received a prestigious MacArthur Fellowship, commonly known as the "MacArthur Genius Award."
Tickets for most performances are $20 for adults, $16 for seniors ages 62+, $10 for youth under 18, and $10 for college students.
Tickets can be purchased online at bucknell.edu/BoxOffice or by calling the Campus Box Office at 570-577-1000.
Tickets are also available in person from several locations including the Weis Center lobby weekdays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University bookstore in Lewisburg weekdays and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday, 12:30 to 4 p.m.; and the CAP Center Box Office, located on the ground floor of the Elaine Langone Center, weekdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
For more information about any of these performances contact Lisa Leighton, marketing and outreach director, at 570-577-3727 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the Weis Center for the Performing Arts, go to bucknell.edu/WeisCenter or facebook.com/WeisCenter