The 2015-16 season at the Weis Center for the Performing Arts at Bucknell University includes more than 30 events and features music and dance from across the United States and around the world. Nine performances are free. All events are open to the public.
The 33 events taking place from late August 2015 through late April 2016 include world music and world dance, bluegrass, modern dance, jazz, classical, cirque, klezmer, a Family Discovery Series and much more.
The season will kick off with two free outdoor concerts on the Weis Center Plaza. On Friday, Aug. 28, at 6 p.m. New Orleans-inspired brass band No BS! Brass will perform and on Friday, Sept. 4, at 6 p.m. vocalist Kellylee Evans will perform. Both events are family friendly, and dancing is encouraged.
No BS! Brass takes the New Orleans brass band into uncharted territory, fearlessly combining elements of James Brown, John Coltrane, Michael Jackson and Led Zeppelin into their fiercely original sound.
Kellylee Evans impresses audiences with her arresting combination of jazz, soul, pop, and hip-hop grooves that feels simultaneously fresh and retro.
"We are thrilled to offer the opportunity to engage with some of the most vibrant, ground-breaking and compelling artists of our time," said Kathryn Maguet, executive director of the Weis Center. "Whether it's the awe-inspiring voices of the Tallis Scholars, the foot-stomping, speakeasy sounds of the Hot Sardines, the exquisite Irish melodies of The Gloaming, or the dazzling and electrifying footwork of Dorrance Dance, the Weis Center season promises to bring the sounds countries and cultures from both near and far to Lewisburg."
Highlights from the Weis Center's 2015-16 season include:
- Bluegrass from Alison Brown Quartet and a folk/blues/Americana performance by Patty Griffin, Sara Watkins and Anais Mitchell
- Classical music by violinist Bella Hristova, Jerusalem Quartet, Munich Symphony Orchestra, Mandelring Quartet and Renaissance sacred music by The Tallis Scholars
- A Family Discovery Series that includes six events: Lakota Sioux Dance Theatre, Goodnight Moon and the Runaway Bunny, Billy Kelly and Molly Ledford, Tao Seventeen Samurai, Room on the Broom and Pilobolus
- World music by Inuit throat singer Tanya Tagaq, Chilean singer-songwriter Nano Stern, Celtic Christmas music by Danu, De Temps Antan and The Gloaming, Gamelan Dharma Swara, and Acoustic Africa, as well as klezmer music by The Klezmatics
- Modern dance by Ailey II and contemporary tap dance by Dorrance Dance
- Jazz by Kellylee Evans, The Hot Sardines, and Aaron Diehl Trio
- A cirque performance by A Simple Space: Gravity and Other Myths
"The Weis Center for the Performing Arts is a shining treasure in central Pennsylvania, and we invite everyone to discover and re-discover its rich tradition of cultural exchange and creative expression," said Maguet.
The Weis Center's 2015-16 season is supported by the following corporate sponsors at the series level: Bucknell Sports Properties, Cumulus Radio, The Daily Item, Entercom, Max Media of Pennsylvania, PPL, Sunbury Broadcasting, Williamsport Sun-Gazette, Susquehanna Life, WITF, WNEP-TV, WPSU and WVIA Public Media.
Event sponsors include: Backyard Broadcasting, Columbia-Montour Visitors Bureau/Susquehanna River Arts, Coldwell Banker Penn One Real Estate, iHeartMEDIA, RiverWoods, Susquehanna River Valley Visitors Bureau, Standard Journal, and WXPN. In addition, five local families are generously sponsoring events: Douglas and Mary Candland, Nancy and Sam Craig, Bob and Dede Gronlund, Clayton and David Lightman, and Gary and Sandy Sojka.
Ticket sales begin Friday, Aug. 14
The majority of Weis Center tickets range in price from $10 to $35 for adults, with discounts available for senior citizens, college students, groups and youth.
After the box office opens on Friday, Aug. 14, advance tickets can be charged at www.bucknell.edu/BoxOffice or by calling 570-577-1000.
Tickets also will be available in person from several locations including the Weis Center lobby weekdays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and the CAPS Center Box Office, located on the ground floor of the Elaine Langone Center, weekdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
More info and a brochure
For more information about the 2015-16 season, go to www.bucknell.edu/WeisCenter or www.facebook.com/WeisCenter.
The 28-page season brochure and ticket order form can be downloaded directly from the Weis Center's website at www.bucknell.edu/WeisCenter.
To request a hardcopy brochure, contact Lisa Leighton, marketing and outreach director, at 570-577-3727 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and one will be mailed to you at no cost.