Five members of the Bucknell University staff were honored at the annual presentation of the Geiger and Zeller Awards.
The Walter C. Geiger Memorial Award recognizes members of the administrative staff who demonstrate sustained excellence and embrace Bucknell University's core competencies in the conduct of their administrative responsibilities. The award honors the late Walter C. Geiger, director of facilities.
Recipients of the 2016 Geiger Awards were Dorothy Johnson, accounting manager for grants; and Melissa Weber, associate registrar.
Johnson, who works closely with the Office of Sponsored Projects, the Finance Office, and the deans' and provost's offices, is dedicated to educating and assisting the Bucknell community with the grant process. She has streamlined the components of the life cycle of grants at Bucknell and developed a working group of grants administrators across campus.
Weber plays a key role in the registrar's office, where she oversees course registration, the course catalog and adjudication of academic misconduct. She handles these processes with humor, grace and dedication to doing what is right, fair and consistent with University policy. | Previous Geiger Award winners
The John F. Zeller Memorial Award for support staff excellence honors the late John F. Zeller, former vice president for business and fiscal affairs and general counsel emeritus. The award recognizes support staff who demonstrate consistent excellence in the conduct of their responsibilities.
Recipients of the 2016 Zeller Awards were Pete Guyer, operations area supervisor for Facilities; Barbara Hollenbach, cataloging specialist in Bertrand Library; and Joe Masana, electrician II for Facilities.
Guyer, an expert in logistics, oversees numerous moves of people, possessions and furniture all over campus. He excels at customer service and relationship-building, and skillfully manages such high-profile events as Reunion parties and Board of Trustees meetings.
Over five decades of service to Bucknell, Hollenbach has adapted to dramatic changes in library technical services, learning every new process, procedure and technology required. Colleagues laud her problem-solving skills, positive attitude and willingness to help teammates in any situation.
Masana's technical skills as an electrician help assure that University sporting events and concerts, including Chrysalis, run smoothly. He demonstrates initiative and determination in problem-solving until all issues are resolved. Masana's guidance and leadership have also helped some of his staff members earn promotions. | Previous Zeller Award winners
Also recognized at the staff picnic were Carol High, operations manager of the Bucknell Center for Sustainability & the Environment, who received a master of arts degree in English from Bucknell; Liz Clark, academic assistant for the Department of Chemical Engineering, who received a bachelor of arts in psychology from Bucknell; and Ginger Kiernan, equipment assistant for Athletics & Recreation, who received a bachelor of arts in philosophy and English — creative writing.
In addition, Emerging Leaders were recognized. They were:
- Kim Allen, campaign volunteer manager, Development
- Jamie Brouse, manager, Campus Box Office
- Gretchen Croteau, senior advancement information services specialist, Advancement Services
- Brian Fritz, assistant director of building maintenance & projects, Facilities
- Kerin Goecke, administrative assistant, President's Office
- Tracy Hower, executive assistant & library building liaison, Library & Information Technology
- Dorothy Johnson, accounting manager for grants, Finance Office
- Nathan Kahle, communications officer, Public Safety
- Ben Kavanagh, formerly an officer with Admissions
- Gary Layton, electrical maintenance supervisor, Facilities
- Candice McGaw, executive assistant to the dean, College of Engineering
- Brent Schreffler, custodial section supervisor, Facilities
- Lindsay Shively, manager of scheduling & event planning, Events Management
- Gary Snyder, operations area supervisor, Facilities
- Tony Stafford, director of outdoor education, Campus Activities & Programs
- Bob Wagner, custodial supervisor II, Facilities