The 2017-18 season at the Weis Center for the Performing Arts at Bucknell University will feature 33 acts from the United States and around the world, encompassing Americana and roots, bluegrass, zydeco, classical, jazz, blues, world music, dance and Family Discovery performances. Ten performances are free.
The season will kick off at 6 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 25, with a free outdoor concert on the Weis Center Plaza by Grammy-nominated zydeco innovator Corey Ledet & His Zydeco Band. A second free outdoor concert on the plaza will be offered at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 7, by Ranky Tanky, a South Carolina-based quintet that performs Sea Island Gullah music.
"We believe that art is for everyone, and we're dedicated to creating life-changing experiences that shine light on our imaginations and our capacities for creative expression," said Weis Center Executive Director Kathryn Maguet. "As always, our season is the synthesis of many cultures, styles and aesthetic points of view as we celebrate artistic expression from all over the world as well as from just down the road."
Highlights from the new season include:
- Americana music from Anna and Elizabeth with Bucknell Camerata, blues music from Rory Block, and bluegrass music from Tim O'Brien Band and Del McCoury
- Eight Family Discovery performances including Mermaid Theatre's Guess How Much I Love You, Lightwire Theatre: A Very Electric Christmas, Secret Agent 23 Skidoo, Children's piano music by Qing Jiang, Mr. Popper's Penguins, contemporary circus/acrobatics by Gandini Juggling, Circa and Air Play
- World music by the all-female Mariachi Flor de Toloache, globalFEST on the Road: The New Golden Age of Latin Music featuring Las Cafeteras and Orkestra Mendoza; Joan Soriano from the Dominican Republic; Che Malambo from Argentina; Halau Hula Ka No'eau from Hawaii and Silk Road Ensemble.
- Jazz by vocalists Somi and Alicia Olatuja
- Modern dance from Alonzo King LINES Ballet, and
- A holiday performance, Sweet Honey in the Rock: Celebrating the Holydays, which will include sign language interpretation.
The Weis Center's expanded 32-page season brochure and ticket order form can be downloaded directly from the Weis Center's website. Hard copies also are available at the Weis Center and throughout the Bucknell University campus and Susquehanna River Valley region. To request a free brochure by mail beginning Aug. 1, contact Lisa Leighton, marketing & outreach director, at 570-577-3727 or by email.
The Weis Center's 2017-18 season is supported by the following season-level sponsors: Backyard Broadcasting, Bucknell Sports Properties, Centre Daily Times, The Daily Item, iHeartRadio Williamsport, Press Enterprise, Seven Mountains Media, Sunbury Broadcasting Corporation, Standard Journal/News Item, Susquehanna Life, ViaMedia and Service Electric, Williamsport Sun-Gazette, WITF, WNEP-TV, WPSU and WVIA Public Media. The Susquehanna River Valley Visitors Bureau is the lead sponsor of the Weis Center's eight Family Discovery performances.
Event sponsors include Bucknell University Community Engagement Fund, Bucknell University Office of the Provost, Children's Museum of Bloomsburg, C.F. Martin & Co., Coldwell Banker Penn One Real Estate, Doug and Mary Candland, Julianna and John Cooper, Nancy and Sam Craig, Evangelical Community Hospital, Bob and Dede Gronlund, Clayton and David Lightman, RiverWoods, News Item, Gary and Sandy Sojka, Family of Janet Weis and the Public Library for Union County.
The majority of Weis Center tickets range in price from $20 to $35 for adults, with discounts available for subscribers (five or more events), senior citizens, college students, groups and youth.Beginning on Friday, Aug. 18, at 10 a.m., tickets for Weis Center events can be charged online or by calling 570-577-1000.Tickets will also be available in person from several locations including the Weis Center lobby and the CAP Center Box Office, located on the ground floor of the Elaine Langone Center, weekdays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.