Parents of First Year Students
During this year, students are formally and informally involved in assessing their skills, interests and abilities. They will do this through the courses they take, campus activities they are involved in, discussions with friends and faculty, and generally being exposed to and trying out different ideas and experiences.
How you can help:
- Support your child's exploration in new areas of study and interest.
- Affirm the skills and abilities he/she has consistently demonstrated. Sometimes students overlook these. Students discover new things about themselves at college. Your willingness to listen will keep you in the loop.
- Support your student in their choice of major or as they explore majors. Skills used in English, History and Art are valuable and transferable across all industries.
- Support responsible involvement in campus activities. Help your student understand that these need to be balanced with maintaining classroom achievement.
- Encourage your student to seek assistance with the CDC to help define skills, interests, and abilities and get to know the breadth of programing and services we can offer.