LEWISBURG, Pa. — Bucknell University will host a Wellness Fair on Tuesday, Oct. 14, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Davis Gym.
The event, which is open to the public without charge, will include health screenings (blood pressure, chiropractic exam), flu vaccination ($15), and massages as well as information about breast cancer, osteoporosis, back health and relaxation techniques.
Information and vendors dealing with outdoor activities and equipment, backpacking, kayaking and biking also will be available.
A light lunch of soup and wholegrain bread will be served.
Highmark will give several presentations: "Introduction to Preventative Health Services (Eat Well for Life)" and "Discover Relaxation Within." In addition, a review of programs available to Highmark members will be held at 9 and 10 a.m. Sign up with Pualani Spurlock at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 577-1465.
Other Wellness events offered in October to the Bucknell and Lewisburg community include:
• Oct. 13, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Bookstore display and sale featuring wellness-related supplies (books, water bottles, yoga mats, etc.), 20 percent off select wellness items and light/healthy cookbooks on Oct. 13 and 14.
• Oct. 13, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Bucknell University Dining presents a Healthy Cooking Demonstration featuring two recipes from their Hemisflavors program. Hemisflavors offers the Bucknell community traditionally prepared recipes from nine countries daily at lunch and dinner in Bostwick.
• Oct. 13, noon to 1:30 p.m.: Kundalini Yoga, Aerobics Studio, KLARC. Hari Gobind Kaur, owner of Trudy's Barefoot Yoga, will give a demonstration of Kundalini Yoga, which uses sets of yogic postures and movements with a meditative focus, dance, breathing and chanting. In addition to strengthening the health and well-being of the physical body, it is very useful for emotional balance, mental clarity, stress relief and personal transformation.
• Oct. 16, 7:30 to 8:30 p.m., Arches Lounge, Elaine Langone Center 304: Brian Vargo, owner of Vargo Outdoors, will give ideas and gear recommendations for decreasing weight in your pack to make backpacking more enjoyable and discuss industry trends, hiking the Appalachian Trail and backpacking techniques.
• Oct. 20, Oct. 27 and Nov. 3, 5 to 6 p.m., Larison 143: Qigong with Arlyne Hoyt. Qigong (pronounced "chee gung") is an ancient Chinese system of gentle movement, breathing techniques, and meditation that cultivates one's vital energy or qi. This series of classes provides an opportunity to learn principles and practices of Qigong including relaxation and centering, breathing exercises, stretching, standing meditation, more active movements and self-massage. Some benefits of Qigong are deep relaxation, increased energy and improved health and harmony of the mind and body. Participants should wear loose, comfortable clothing.
For more information on programs, visit www.bucknell.edu/x1696.xml
Contact: Division of Communications