Please note: You are viewing an archived Bucknell University news story. It is possible that information found on this page has become outdated or inaccurate, and links and images contained within are not guaranteed to function correctly.
LEWISBURG, Pa. — The Bucknell University Small Business Development Center (SBDC) is promoting entrepreneurship as part of National Entrepreneurship Week Feb. 21 to 28 to celebrate the entrepreneurial spirit and inspire future entrepreneurs to think creatively and turn their ideas into action.
National Entrepreneurship Week, sponsored by the Consortium for Entrepreneurship Education, aims to educate young Americans about the importance of entrepreneurship and provide them with the tools to take advantage of the range of business opportunities available to them.
"Entrepreneurship is critical to future economic health everywhere," said Christian Conroy, Pennsylvania SBDC Interim State Director. "It is true in Pennsylvania, where the businesses we help open doors, create jobs and build regional wealth, and it is also true across the nation and across the globe. We are pleased to partner in efforts to raise awareness of the immense value entrepreneurs bring to their communities."
Entrepreneurs make substantial contributions to the Pennsylvania economy and to the U.S. economy on a whole. Over the past 15 years, businesses less than five years old have accounted for about 70 percent of the net job creation in the United States.
Bucknell SBDC seminars being held during National Entrepreneurship Week include:
• Tuesday, Feb. 24: "Stand Up and Stand Out: Presentation Skills for Business Professionals," with consultant David Burns, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m., at the SBDC Business Education Center, 207 Chamberlin Building in Lewisburg;
• Wednesday, Feb. 25: "Sales Strategies for Non-Selling Professionals: Getting the Appointment," with John Moore of Moore Power Sales, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., in the Mid Penn Engineering Conference Room at 2049 W. Market St. in Lewisburg;
• Wednesday, Feb. 25: "10 Steps to Closing," with John Moore of Moore Power Sales, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. in the Mid Penn Engineering Conference Room at 2049 W. Market St. in Lewisburg;
• Wednesday, Feb. 25: "Gaining Ground in an Economic Slowdown," with Maureen Hauck, assistant director for business consulting with the Bucknell SBDC, 8 to 10 a.m., in the SBDC Business Education Center, 207 Chamberlin Building in Lewisburg;
• Thursday, Feb. 26: "How to Develop Effective OSHA Safety and Health Programs: Hazard Communication, Emergency Action, Lock Out/Tag Out," with David P. Martin, OSHA compliance assistance specialist, 9 a.m. to noon in the SBDC Business Education Center, 207 Chamberlin Building in Lewisburg.
For more information on events sponsored by the Bucknell University SBDC during National Entrepreneurship Week, visit www.bucknell.edu/script/sbdc/seminars.asp, call 570-577-1249 or 866-375-6010 (toll free) or e-mail SBDC@bucknell.edu.
Contact: Division of Communications