This website provides information on visas and Bucknell's immigration sponsorship of employees and scholars affiliated with the University. The information contained herein is for general informational purposes only and may vary depending on the facts of a specific situation. It does not constitute a guarantee of sponsorship. Employee and scholar immigration and visa questions should be directed to the Office of General Counsel, Lynda Meinke, Assistant Counsel, 570.577.1149 or

Updates on Immigration Matters

Bucknell has created a web resource to provide immigration-related developments stemming from President Trump's Jan. 27, 2017 executive order related to travel.


H-1B status is a temporary, nonimmigrant status for workers in specialty occupations. In order for a position to qualify for an H-1B, the job must require, at a minimum, a four year bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in a specific specialty. H-1B status is employer and position specific. The status is limited to the sponsoring employer and the particular position described in the H-1B application. || Learn more about H-1B.


J-1 status is a non-immigrant status for approved Exchange Visitors working or studying in the United States. The U.S. Department of State administers the J-1 program, the goal of which is "to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges." J-1 exchange visitors enter the United States in one of various program categories, such as "Professor," "Research Scholar," and "Short-term Scholar." || Learn more about J-1.

Permanent Residency

Bucknell sponsors tenured and tenure-track foreign national faculty members for permanent residency. U.S. immigration law does not support sponsorship of visiting assistant professors for permanent residency. The University generally does not sponsor staff members for permanent residency, although exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis where, at a minimum, (1) the individual is deemed critical to the operation of his/her department or office, and (2) a determination is made that the position is difficult to fill and that there are likely to be no qualified U.S. applicants for the position. || Related: H-1B and Permanent Residency Legal Fees and Filing Costs (pdf).

International Visitors

The Finance Office coordinates Payments to Non-US Citizens.