Please note: You are viewing an archived Bucknell University news story. It is possible that information found on this page has become outdated or inaccurate, and links and images contained within are not guaranteed to function correctly.
[X] Close this message.
LEWISBURG, Pa. - Steve Holmes, a member of the Board of Trustees and chair of the search for the next president of Bucknell University, has announced the membership of the search committee. In August, chair of the Board of Trustees Ken Freeman announced that he had appointed Trustee Holmes to chair the search committee.
The search committee is charged with identifying the desired attributes and qualifications for the next president, gathering recommendations, conducting a comprehensive and thorough review of candidates, ensuring appropriate participation in the search by the Bucknell community, and recommending finalists to the University Board of Trustees for consideration. The following individuals have been selected and agreed to serve on the search committee:
- Trustees: Jeb Bachman '78, P'12; Susan Baird '72, P'11; Ron Benjamin '67, P'94, P'98; James DeGraffenreidt P'05; Board Chair Ken Freeman '72; Steve Holmes (chair) '79, P'06, P'08, P'12; Marti Samek '60; and Glenn Steele.
- Faculty members: Chair of the Faculty Tony Massoud, Political Science; and Molly McGuire, Chemistry
- Administrators/Staff: Param Bedi, chief information officer; and Molly O'Brien-Foelsch M '98, senior writer in the Division of Communications
- Alumni member: Matt Garman '96
- Parent member: Michael Pepe P'10, P'12
- Student member: Krista Yancey '11
The search committee held its first meeting this past Saturday to formally initiate the search.
"The search committee is excited and energized to begin the process of identifying the 17th president in the 164-year history of Bucknell University," said Holmes. "We look forward to a comprehensive and collaborative effort as we undertake this important step in the life of an institution that is so important to us and the community of Bucknellians around the world."
Holmes also announced that he has asked Jerry Rackoff, associate vice president for institutional research, to provide administrative support to the committee. Rackoff served in the same capacity for the two previous presidential searches.
Holmes announced that the selection of a search consulting firm to assist the committee and the Board of Trustees in the search process is nearly completed and will be announced shortly.
In June, President Brian C. Mitchell announced his decision to step down from the position at the end of the current academic year, on June 30, 2010. The committee intends to identify the next president so that he or she can take office effective July 1.
Contact: Division of Communications