The mission of the Susquehanna River Initiative is tri-fold: develop teaching, research, and outreach experiences that connect faculty and students to the river.
I also work closely with the Environmental Center's other initiatives - the Campus Greening Initiative, Marcellus Shale Initiative and the Place Studies Initiative. Since starting in 1996, we've experienced tremendous growth in research, student and faculty involvement, and other activities as we partner with other universities and agencies in the watershed.
Much of my professional life has been devoted to environmental restoration and habitat improvement projects in the Pacific Northwest, New England, and mid-Atlantic regions of the United States. I'm currently working on projects related to:
- impact of historic logging on rivers
- wetlands hydrology and restoration
- impacts of land use and climate change on the Susquehanna River
- bedload transport and pool/riffle formation in nearby streams
- improving trout habitat in gravel bed streams