Apple's flagship laptop combines the power of Mavericks, OS 10.9, with Apple's hallmark reliability and ease of use to make the MacBook Pro the perfect combination for college students today. They feature:
- Next-generation quad-core and dual-core Intel processors. The 13-inch MacBook Pro now features a 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 processor or the fastest dual-core processor available — the 2.9GHz Intel Core i7.
- The graphics performance you need, when you need it. The integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 processor handles the things you do every day.
- The Multi-Touch trackpad is the most natural way to interact with what's on your screen, and the smooth glass surface gives you plenty of room for gestures.
- A long-lasting battery. Charge less. Do more. The new MacBook Pro delivers amazing battery life.
- Mavericks includes: Pages, Keynote, and Numbers
- The standard 13-inch MacBook Pro is part of the Bison Laptop Program - not the retina-display models!
Apple standard MacBook Pro - recommended model $1272
Recommended System: this will work well for most students. It matches the specs for the machines that we're purchasing for faculty and staff this academic year.
- 13" standard MacBookPro
- 2.5 GHz Intel i5 processor
- 8 gb RAM (upgrade from the standard 4 gb)
- 500 gb 5400 rpm hard drive
- Superdrive DVD-RW
- 3 years AppleCare
- Firewire 800, 2 USB 3.0 ports, Thunderbolt SDXC slot
- FaceTime HD webcam
- Multi-touch trackpad
- 4.5 pounds
Note: The Bison Laptop program includes only the standard 13" non-retina display MacBook Pro - it doesn't matter if you buy it from an Apple Store or online through our links. Our links simply go directly to the normal Apple online store, and Bucknell receives a small commission if you order from there. But the models and specs and pricing are identical.
Retina Display Details - Retina Display models are not part of the laptop program!
The Retina Display MacBook Pros offer a Retina display and all flash architecture in a thin and light package. What does this mean?
- The pictures on the screen will be brighter and clearer
- Instead of normal hard drives, only solid state flash drives are used, which make everything load and run faster
- They weigh a pound less than a standard 13" MacBookPro and they're thinner
But . . .
Because we find that students use CD drives, ethernet ports and Firewire accessories, the Retina Display models are not part of the Bison Laptop program. This article explains why many people prefer standard MacBook Pros This article explains why we can't support the Retina Display models
- They have no CD/DVD drive
- They have no ethernet jack (for a network cable)
- They have no Firewire ports (standard on Macs forever)
- They have a different MagSafe2 power adapter than all other Macs
- They cost more than a regular 13" MacBookPro
- Flash solid state drives are considerably smaller (128gb or 256gb) than normal hard drives (500gb standard, or 750gb optional)
- Most importantly, Apple has designed them in a way that does not allow upgrades or standard repair work. Any repairs will require the computer to be shipped back to Apple.
Apple's Back to School Promotions
For details, check out Apple's Back to School Promotion page!