Note: If you received a notice indicating that you were selected for verification by the Department of Education, and you are unable to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval process, please follow the instructions below to request your Tax Return Transcript.
Tax filers can request a transcript, free of charge, of their current year tax return from the IRS. For the quickest way to request a transcript, we recommend that you use the online request option.
- Available on the IRS Web site at www.irs.gov/transcript.
- Click "Get Transcript by Mail."
- You will need to create an account by providing your name, email address, SSN and answering some security questions. Please make sure you use the address currently on file with the IRS. Typically, this will be the address that was listed on the latest tax return filed.
- Select the reason for getting a transcript – “Higher Education/Student Aid.”
- Click on the tax year needed under “Return Transcript.”
— Applying for academic year 2016-17? You will need to click on 2015 to complete the 2016-17 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
— Applying for academic year 2017-18? You will need to click on 2015 to complete the 2017-18 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946.
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their social security numbers and the numbers in their street addresses. Typically, this will be the number of the street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Select "Option 2" to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
— Applying for academic year 2016-17? Enter 2015.
— Applying for academic year 2017-18? Enter 2015.
- If successfully validated, a tax filer can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address that was used in their telephone request, within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
- IRS Tax Return Transcripts requested by telephone cannot be sent directly to a third party by the IRS.
- Available for Android and IOS (Apple) mobile devices.
- Please be sure to order the Tax Return Transcript.
- 5-10 day delivery to the address on file.
Paper Request Form - IRS Form 4506T-EZ
- IRS Form 4506T-EZ should be used instead of IRS Form 4506-T because it is sufficient to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Download at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf.
- Complete lines 1 - 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form. Note that line 3 should be the most current address filed with the IRS. It is the address where the IRS Tax Return Transcript will be sent. If the address has recently changed, include the address listed on the latest tax return filed on Line 4. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- On line 6, enter the relevant tax year to receive the IRS tax information for your FAFSA.
— Enter 2015 to receive the IRS tax information for the 2016-17 FAFSA.
— Enter 2015 to receive the IRS tax information for the 2017-18 FAFSA.
- The tax filer (or spouse if requesting information from a joint tax return) must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address (or fax number) provided on page 2 of Form 4506T-EZ.
- Tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed requests. NOTE: Processing form 4506T-EZ means verifying/validating the information provided on the form. If any information does not match the IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the transcript.