Program Educational Objectives
- Graduates will attain a record of engagement in civil engineering or other fields that require analytical and/or professional abilities.
- Graduates will attain a record of continuing professional development.
- Graduates will attain a record of contributions to their fields, professions, or society.
The civil engineering degree program seeks to prepare students to be successful professionals recognized for their:
- Critical thinking and problem solving based on a fundamental knowledge of humanities, social sciences, mathematics, science, engineering science and a broad range of civil engineering technical areas;
- Consideration of global and societal concerns, ethics, and sustainability when making engineering decisions;
- Leadership and effective communication;
- Civic engagement and contributions to society; and
- Pursuit of lifelong learning and professional development.
Bucknell Civil Engineering Degree Program Student Outcomes
Graduates of the civil engineering degree program will have:
- (a) an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering;
- (b) an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data;
- (c) an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability.
- (d) An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams;
- (e) an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems;
- (f) an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility;
- (g) an ability to communicate effectively;
- (h) the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- (i) a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning;
- (j) a knowledge of contemporary issues;
- (k) an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.