- B.A. McGill University, November 1980 (with Great Distinction)
- A.M. Brown University, June 1982
- Ph.D. Brown University, May 1985
Honors and Awards
- 2016 Writing- Across-the-Curriculum Award of Excellence.
- 2002 Invited Baccalaureate Speaker.
- 1999 Outstanding Faculty Advisor. IFC/PANHEL.
- 1996 Gary A. Sojka Leadership Award. Division of Student Life.
- 1991 Outstanding Advisor Award. Division of Student Life.
- 1990 Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching.
Areas of Specialization
- Social Stratification (Income Inequality, Class and Gender)
- Political Sociology (Social movements, Genocide and the Holocaust))
- Demography (Marriage and Family, Aging, World Urbanization)
- SOCI 100 - Introduction to Sociology
- SOCI 208 - Methods of Social Research
- SOCI 241 - Marriages & Families in the 21st Century
- SOCI 249 - Doing Gender: Self & Society
- SOCI 309 - How holocausts Happen: The History and Sociology of Genocide
- SOCI/WMST 328 - Mating and Marrying in America
- SOCI 410 - Remembering the Holocaust
2017 "Owner Perceptions of Barriers to Prevention through Design Diffusion," John A. Gambatese, T. Michael Toole, and Deborah A. Abowitz, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management 143(7) (July). DOI
2017 "Owners' Role in Facilitating Prevention through Design." T. Michael Toole, John A. Gambatese, and Deborah A. Abowitz, Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice 143(1) (January).
2015 "Students Writing Advice to the Lovelorn: Engaging Students and 'Keeping it Real'." Teaching/Learning Matters (ASA Newsletter) 44(1) (Spring): 15-17.
2010 "Emotional Abuse among Undergraduates in Romantic Relationships," Deborah A. Abowitz, David Knox, and Marty Zusman. International Journal of Sociology of the Family. 36 (2) (Autumn): 117-138.
2010 "Mixed Method Research: Fundamental Issues of Design, Validity and Reliability in Construction Research," Deborah A. Abowitz and T. Michael Toole. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 136(1) (January): 108-116.
2009 "Beliefs About Romantic Relationships: Some Gender Differences among Undergraduates," Deborah A. Abowitz, David Knox, Marty Zusman, and Andrea McNeely. College Student Journal.43 (2/Part A) (June): 276-284.
2008 "The Campus 'F' Word: Feminist Self-Identification (and not) among Undergraduates," International Journal of Sociology of the Family. 34(1)(Spring): 43-63.
2005 "Social Mobility and the American Dream: What Do College Students Believe?" College Student Journal 39 (4) (December): 716-28.
2005 "Does Money Buy Happiness? A Look at Gen Y College Students Beliefs," Free Inquiry in Creative Sociology 33(2)(November): 119-129.
2003 "Weddings: Some Data on College Student Perceptions," Deborah A. Abowitz, David Knox, Marty E. Zusman, and Kristen McGinty. College Student Journal 37(2) (June): 197-200.
2002 "Bringing the Sociological Into the Discussion: Teaching the Sociology of Genocide and the Holocaust," Teaching Sociology 30 (1) (January): 26-38.
1994 "Developing Awareness and Use of Library Resources in Undergraduate Sociology: A Sample Assignment," Teaching Sociology 22 (1) (January): 58-64.
1990 "Socio-Political Participation and the Significance of Social Context: A Model of Competing Interests and Obligations," Social Science Quarterly71(3) (Sept.):543-66.
1990 "Teaching Demography to Undergraduates: A Pedagogical Dilemma," Teaching Sociology 18(1) (January), 63-68.
1986 "Data Indicate the Feminization of Poverty in Canada, Too," Sociology and Social Research 70 (3) (April): 209-13.