- PhD, Public Administration and Policy, State University of New York, University at Albany, 2001.
- M.P.A., Comparative International Affairs, Indiana University, 1997.
- BS, Environmental Studies, University of Vermont, 1992.
Faculty Research Interests
- International development assistance
- Post-conflict transition
- Disaster and response
Recent and Representative Publications
Boyd, M. N., Martin, C. E., (2022) Sense of Community Responsibility at the Forefront of Crisis Management. Administrative Theory & Praxis. 44(1), 71-83. https://doi.org/10.1080/10841806.2020.1765288
Nolte, M. I., Martin, C. E., (2021) Learning and crisis coordination: Experiences from the Balkan refugee route. Nonprofit Management and Leadership. 31(4), 783-804. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/nml.21457
Martin, C. E., Nolte, I., (2019) Might Less Accountability Be More? INGO-Volunteer Relationships in the European Refugee Response. Public Management Review. 22(3), 408-431. https://doi.org/10.1080/14719037.2019.1599057
Martin, C. E., Nolte, I., Vitolo, E., (2016) The Four Cs of disaster partnering: communication, cooperation, coordination and collaboration. Disasters. 40(4), 621-643. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/disa.12173
Martin, C. E., Comas, J., Shrivastava, P., (2015) Terrorism as Formal Organization, Network and Social Movement. Journal of Management Inquiry. 24(1), 47-60.
Martin, C. E., Millesen, J., (2014) Community Foundation Strategy: Doing Good and the Moderating Effects of Fear, Tradition, and Serendipity. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly. 43(5), 832-849. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0899764013486195
Martin, C. E., (2004) Privatization in Bosnia and Herzegovina: Insights from and into the craft of interorganizational process analysis. Organization Studies. 25(7), 1115-1157. https://doi.org/10.1177/0170840604046313
Martin, C. E., (2002) Portraits of Sarajevo: Reflections of dissertation fieldwork. Journal of Management Inquiry. 11(3), 302-303.
Recent Courses Taught
- MORS 400, Management Consulting.
- MGMT 101, Intro to Organizatn/Management.
- MORS 320, Org Response to Global Crises.
- GLBM 200, Managing in Global Environment.
- MORS 200, Resp Mgmt, Sustainable Values.
- MSUS 400, Consulting for Sustainability.
- GLBM 300, Managing in Global Environment.
- MSUS 320, Sustainable Development Mgmt.
- MSUS 400, Management Consulting.
- MGMT 100, Exploring Management.
- MSUS 301, Managing for Sustainability II.
- MSUS 400, Sustainability Action Learn..
Awards and Honors
- Forrest D. Brown Award, Bucknell University, (2018).
- Maxwell Award, Bucknell University, Coal Region Field Station, (2017).
- Faculty / Staff Engagement Award, ECSU Center for Community Engagement, (2010).
- Community Service Award, for American Humanics Student Association, Connecticut Commission on Higher Education, (2007).
- CSU Trustees Research Award, Connecticut State University Board of Trustees, (2007).
- Best Paper Award, Nelson A. Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy, University at Albany, State University of New York, (2003).
- Distinguished Dissertation Award, Rockefeller College Graduate School of Public Affairs and Policy, State University of New York, University at Albany, (2002).
- Emerging Scholar Award, Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action, (2000).