Neil BoydDavid J. '85 & Deborah West Professor in Management, and Professor of Management & Organizations
About Neil Boyd
- PhD, Public Administration, Organization Development & Change, Public Management, Human Resource Management, Community Psychology, Research Methods & Statistics, The Pennsylvania State University, 2003.
- MBA, Business Administration, Human Resource Management, Organizational Behavior, Research Methods & Statistics, The Pennsylvania State University, 1992.
- MA, Experimental Psychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Learning Theory, University of Notre Dame, 1990.
- BA, Psychology, Bloomsburg University, 1986.
Recent and Representative Publications
Boyd, M. N., Larson, S., (2023) Building community at work: An exploratory study in healthcare system management. Journal of Community Psychology.https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jcop.23027
Boyd, M. N., Larson, S., (2023) Organizational cultures that support community: Does the competing values framework help us understand experiences of community at work?. Journal of Community Psychology. 51(4), 1695-1715. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcop.22950
Jonsen, R., Boyd, M. N., Oikelome, F., Trimble, D., (2023) Exploring the strategic human resource management black box by investigating the role of community experiences in high involvement work practices. Journal of Community Psychology. 51(3), 1078-1105. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcop.22965
Boyd, M. N., Liu, X., Horissian, K., (2022) Impact of Community Experiences on Student Retention Perceptions and Satisfaction in Higher Education. Journal of College Student Retention: Research, Theory & Practice. 24(2), 337-365. https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1521025120916433
Boyd, M. N., Martin, C. E., (2022) Sense of Community Responsibility at the Forefront of Crisis Management. Administrative Theory & Praxis. 44(1), 71-83. https://doi.org/10.1080/10841806.2020.1765288
Boyd, M. N., Nowell, B., (2022) Responsibility Toward Others is Vital in Public & Non-Profit Organizations: So how do we Cultivate it?. Edward Elgar Publishing.
Bowers, B., Boyd, M. N., McGoun, G. E., (2020) Greenbacks, Green Banks, and Greenwashing via LEED: Assessing Banks' Performance in Sustainable Construction. Sustainability. 13(5), 208-217. https://doi.org/10.1089/sus.2020.0009
Prati, G., Procentese, F., Albanesi, C., Cicognani, E., Fedi, A., Gatti, F., Mannarini, T., Rochira, A., Tartaglia, S., Boyd, M. N., Nowell, B., Gattino, S., (2020) Psychometric properties of the Italian version of the sense of community responsibility scale. Journal of Community Psychology. 48(6), 1770-1790. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jcop.22366
Boyd, M. N., Nowell, B., (2020) Sense of community, sense of community responsibility, organizational commitment and identification, and public service motivation: a simultaneous test of affective states on employee well-being and engagement in a public service work context. Public Management Review. 22(7), 1024-1050. https://doi.org/10.1080/14719037.2020.1740301
Nowell, B., Izod, M. A., Ngaruiya, M. K., Boyd, M. N., (2016) Public Service Motivation and Sense of Community Responsibility: Comparing Two Motivational Constructs in Understanding Leadership Within Community Collaboratives. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory. 26(4), 663-676. doi.org/10.1093/jopart/muv048
Boyd, M. N., Nowell, B., (2014) Psychological Sense of Community: A New Construct for the Field of Management. Journal of Management Inquiry. 23(2), 107-122. https://doi.org/10.1177/1056492613491433
Boyd, M. N., (2009) Administrative reform in the states. Public Administration Quarterly. 33(2), 155-163.
Boyd, M. N., (2009) Implementing large-scale organization development and change in the states. Public Administration Quarterly. 32(2), 233-270.
Recent Courses Taught
- MORS 251, ESG Reporting.
- UNIV 200, Integrated Perspectives Course.
- MGMT 100, Exploring Management.
- MORS 400, Management Consulting.
- MORS 324, Organizational Forms.
- MORS 325, Perf Mgmt, Measurement & Reptg.
- MGMT 101, Intro to Organizatn/Management.
- MSUS 315, Advanced Topics in MSUS.
- MSUS 400, Management Consulting.
- MSUS 400, Sustainability Action Learn..
- MSUS 330, Sustainable Human Res Mgmt.
Awards and Honors
- Campus Sustainability Champion, Pennsylvania Environmental Resource Consortium, (2020).
- Barry R. Maxwell Award, Bucknell University, (2017).
- University Faculty Fellow, Bucknell University, (2017).
- C. Graydon and Mary E. Rogers Faculty Fellow Award, Bucknell University, (2014).
- 2005 James Jordan Award for Teaching Excellence, Penn State University, (2005).
209 Holmes Hall