- Ph.D., Geography and Women's Studies (dual degree), Pennsylvania State University
- M.A., Geography, University of Arizona
- B.S., Geography, Pennsylvania State University
- Social and cultural geography
- Critical data studies
- Feminist research methodology
- Critical prison studies
- Geography 101, Globalization, People & Place
- Geography 220, Cultural Geography
- Geography 228, Media, Space and Place
- Geography 317/Women's and Gender Studies 317, Carceral Landscapes
Massaro, V. A., Dhar, S., Mir, D., & Ryan, N. C. (2022). Carceral algorithms and the history of control: An analysis of the Pennsylvania additive classification tool. Big Data & Society, 9(1). https://doi.org/10.1177/20539517221094002
Smith, J. L., Massaro, V., & Miller, G. (2021). Policing Gentrification: The Financial Geography of Law Enforcement Practices in Philadelphia. ACME: An International Journal for Critical Geographies, 20(6), 637–665. Retrieved from https://acme-journal.org/index.php/acme/article...
Massaro, VA, Shaunna Barnhart, Michael Lasky, Kathy Jeremiah, (2021) "Building Sustainable Communities Through Engaged Learning: A University-Community Partnership for Sustained Change in a Central Pennsylvania Coal Town," Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship, 14(1).
Monique Alexander and Vanessa Massaro. (2020) "School Deserts: Visualizing the Death of the Neighborhood School," Policy Futures in Education, 18(6), pp 787–805. 2020.
Vanessa Massaro. (2019) "Relocating the "Inmate": Tracing the Geographies of Care in Correctional Supervision," Environment and Planning C: Society and Space, 38(7–8), 1216–1236.
Vanessa Massaro. (2019) "Who is the expert on incarceration? Undergraduate researchers and deference to local knowledge in Philadelphia," SAGE Methods Cases Anthology in Politics & International Relations.