Specifically, the council is charged with:
- Developing and overseeing the implementation of Bucknell's Strategic Plan for Diversity.
- Assessing, monitoring and reporting on progress toward achieving strategic diversity goals.
- Reviewing and revising (as needed) Bucknell's diversity goals and strategies.
Primary areas of focus include:
- Diversity of the faculty, staff and student bodies.
- Campus culture and climate.
- Curricular and co-curricular diversity-centered learning opportunities.
- Institutional practices and policies.
The council recognizes the importance of sharing information as well as soliciting and responding to feedback from members of the campus community. As advocates for diversity, inclusiveness and equity, the council values and promotes cross-campus collaboration; consults with faculty, staff and campus offices; and regularly supports and participates in diversity-enrichment opportunities.
John C. Bravman
Associate Dean of Students for Diversity & Inclusion
Interim Associate Provost for Academic Affairs
Faculty Chair and Professor of Women's & Gender Studies
Anjalee Deshpande Hutchinson
Associate Professor of Theatre & Dance, EIE Faculty Fellow
Vice President for Equity & Inclusive Excellence
Interim Dean of the Freeman College of Management
Director of Institutional Equity, Title IX Coordinator
Vice President for Student Enrollment, Engagement & Success
Associate Provost for Faculty Engagement & Inclusion
Richard E. Garman Dean of the College of Engineering
Director of Equity & Inclusive Excellence
Assistant Professor of Accounting, EIE Faculty Fellow
Director of Alumni & Family Engagement Programs
Douglas K. Candland Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences
Vice President of Human Resources
Senior Associate Director of Athletics, Administration
President’s Diversity & Inclusion Awards
The annual President's Diversity & Inclusion Awards recognize significant contributions to the University's efforts to build and nurture an inclusive campus community. Criteria for selection include:
- Achieving an aspect of The Plan for Bucknell's Enhancing Diversity strategy.
- Promoting student learning related to Bucknell University's Educational Goal No. 3: Develop knowledge and skills for interpreting the commonalities and differences among human societies, including diverse cultural perspectives and traditions within the United States and internationally, to enable living and working effectively in a global context.
- Implementing an aspect of Bucknell's 2014-19 Diversity Plan (such as addressing campus demographics and retention; climate and culture; student learning; and/or practices, policies and accountability).
- Enhancing diversity and inclusion.
2022-23 Award Winners
Student: Jerra Holdip '23
Staff: Jen Schneidman Partica
Faculty: Benjamin Wheatley, assistant professor of mechanical engineering
Office or Program: Women's Resource Center
Student Organization: Black Student Union
Collaborative Group: Bucknell MLK Committee