President’s Diversity Council
The President's Diversity Council is an advisory and leadership team responsible for developing, overseeing and monitoring University-wide efforts to achieve Bucknell's commitment to diversity as a core institutional and educational value.
The council's main focus is to enhance and maintain Bucknell's efforts to ensure that all students graduate with knowledge, skills and habits of mind necessary for making thoughtful, responsible contributions in a diverse, globally integrated world. Directly tied to this is a focus on establishing and maintaining a thriving, inclusive campus climate that values all faculty, students and staff members.
Specifically, the council is charged with:
- Developing and overseeing the implementation of Bucknell's Strategic Plan for Diversity.
- Assessing, monitoring and reporting on progress toward achieving strategic diversity goals.
- Reviewing and revising (as needed) Bucknell's diversity goals and strategies.
Primary areas of focus include:
- Diversity of the faculty, staff and student bodies.
- Campus culture and climate.
- Curricular and co-curricular diversity-centered learning opportunities.
- Institutional practices and policies.
The council recognizes the importance of sharing information as well as soliciting and responding to feedback from members of the campus community. As advocates for diversity, inclusiveness and equity, the council values and promotes cross-campus collaboration; consults with faculty, staff and campus offices; and regularly supports and participates in diversity-enrichment opportunities.
John C. Bravman
Dean of Students
Associate Dean of Students for Diversity & Inclusion
Faculty Chair and Professor of Women's & Gender Studies
Interim Dean of the Freeman College of Management
Director of Institutional Equity, Title IX Coordinator
Vice President for Enrollment Management
Senior Associate Athletics Director, Leadership Development
Special Adviser to the Provost for Faculty
Vice President for Strategic Initiatives
Richard E. Garman Dean of the College of Engineering
Director of Equity & Inclusive Excellence
Assistant Professor of Accounting
Director of Alumni & Family Engagement Programs
Douglas K. Candland Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences
Vice President of Human Resources
President’s Diversity & Inclusion Awards
The annual President's Diversity & Inclusion Awards recognize significant contributions to the University's efforts to build and nurture an inclusive campus community. Criteria for selection include:
- Achieving an aspect of The Plan for Bucknell's Enhancing Diversity strategy.
- Promoting student learning related to Bucknell University's Educational Goal No. 3: Develop knowledge and skills for interpreting the commonalities and differences among human societies, including diverse cultural perspectives and traditions within the United States and internationally, to enable living and working effectively in a global context.
- Implementing an aspect of Bucknell's 2014-19 Diversity Plan (such as addressing campus demographics and retention; climate and culture; student learning; and/or practices, policies and accountability).
- Enhancing diversity and inclusion.
2021-22 Award Winners
Student: Madison Scopano '22 and Quintina Smith '23
Staff: Becca Haupt Aldredge, senior assistant director of admissions and Marcus Scales, director of multicultural student services
Faculty - DEI Faculty Fellows: Adrian Mulligan, professor of geography; M. Laura Beninati, associate professor of mechanical engineering; and Anjalee Deshnpande Hutchinson, associate professor of theatre & dance
Office or Program: Office of Admissions
Student Organization: Kappa Alpha Psi
Office of the President
220 Marts Hall